1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado Code 7

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Nestech, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Anyone have experience with a constant occurring code 7 (Spinner over current) on a Tornado Spreader. I have been through all the basics and can not get this code to stop occurring.
    Have tried
    -New Spinner Motor
    -New Module
    -New Spinner motor wire harness from module to spinner
    -new controller
    -Runs at 9-11 amps no load. Ramps up real quickly once spinning sand.
    -Bearings on spinner shaft are fine. Cogged belt is lined up perfectly.
    -Unit will also set other codes as well but code 7 is the most often

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Is the gate open too wide allowing too much material to hit the spinner? Having changed all the parts involved it has to be something loading the motor down.

3. mishnick

Error list says that 7 means more than 32 amps for over 3 seconds. Perhaps take an amp meter and see what it is actually drawing.

4. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

I have amp clamped it several times. Hard to duplicate in the shop but yes it seems to be drawing too much when spreading and setting the code. It does this weather the feed gate is half open or wide open. Spreading Sand or just Salt. The problem is I can not find an reason for it to be overloading like that.

5. mishnick

Something has to be dragging the motor down. Most likely the spinner shaft bearings. Belt too tight can make drag and the wrong spinner will do it too. If you put a larger or heavier spinner on the shaft it would create more load. Sound mechanical not electrical.

6. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

If you spin the spinner shaft with the motor and belt off. It spins really easy. No drag on the 2 bearings whatsoever. The cog belt has a spring tentioner on it. I did try running it with no tentioner but did not seem to be any different in shop testing. All I can do is grab the spinner shaft by hand and squeeze simulating a load by the sand. Not hard at all to ramp the motor over 32 amps.
    I have been working with Andy at Western Tech. He has me going in a different direction now, thinking I may be chasing a phantom code. I will post a fix if I get there! (Time is running out on this season!)

7. mishnick

"The cog belt has a spring tensioner." This must be a new thing as I have never seen one on any Tornado.
    But the "phantom code" is interesting. Only the guys at Western can pursue that idea.
    By the way... I used to work in Strarford Ont. I lived in Tavistock for 18 years. It's good to see more Canadians on this site.