1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pieperlc, Jan 5, 2014.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Found a used Tornado spreader that looks to be in good condition. I know Western had problems when they first released them, but I understand they did some upgrades and from searching, most guys seemed to like them after the upgrades. I could not however, find what the upgrades were and how I could tell if the one I'm looking at has them. Can anyone help me out? Should I not touch it since it's a 1st generation?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As far as I know first generation is still the same. Second and third generations got the improvements. Like now the spinner and conveyor have separate motors with individual speed controls. There are also changes to the shute assembly. The new version is a big black plastic thing where the first one was just a little metal thing with a plastic cover.
    The biggest problem with all of them has been, in my opinion, they don't have enough power in the conveyor motor to get them going when they are heavily loaded. The new ones still have problems with the conveyor and motor sprocket being too close together and the teeth lock together sometimes. We call that sprocket lock.
    Should you touch it? Only you can decide that. Is the price worth the problems you might have? All sanders have their problems but if it suits your needs and the price is good go for it. You can still get parts for them and there are lots of them still in operation in our area. A good thing about them is that plastic and stainless steel never rust so they last a long time if they are maintained.