1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tornado 1.8 yrd problem

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stackmaster, Oct 20, 2010.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

I purchased a Tornado 1.8 yard spreader last winter. A couple minor issues. First, the spread pattern isn't great but could likely be improved with a minor customization. Second, sometimes when the hopper is full the chain doesn't want to turn. After stopping and starting the control a couple times, it works fine. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, has anyone noticed the spinner assembly housing loosening up due to vibration??? I've noticed that the mount holes have "egged" out a bit and now the whole assembly seems a bit sloppy. Will post pics when I get a chance. Thanks in advance.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Sounds like you need new bushings.

4. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I have a 1.5 and 2.5 and installed the inverted vee's on both spreaders, this should take some of the weight off the conveyor. I never had any issues last year with the 1.5 but this will be my first winter with the 2.5 so i'll keep you posted if i see this as well.. Everyone talks about the space between the back of thier salter and chute, both chutes on the 1.5 and 2.5 i have are tight against the back of the spreader :confused:

5. stackmaster

6. xtreem3d

i did nothing, my brother used a motorcycle strap across the back of his. it was never an issue ..at least not yet. i haven't mounted it yet this year to see if my holes wallowed out. after the 3 incidents i had no problems the rest of winter.
    steve

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

stack master - i re welded my 1.5's spinner assembly area: 1st mod - i took the chute extension piece and sliced it and welded it above the spinner to help direct all the salt onto the spinner - i noticed when the back end wobbled depending on where it was i would loose a lot of salt towards the truck side of the spinner, by putting this piece there i no longer have that problem. next was i plasma torched the passenger side deflector and welded in a bracket on top of it for support, after dropping an entire yard of salt in one place i noticed this deflector caused the most problems. now spreads fine...
    mke sure you have inverted v that is huge- well worth the 200 some odd dollars helps keep a lot of weight off the chain....

8. xtreem3d

he's right...i did exactly the things he did to get it to spread good. the V that they offer is about 3-4" wide...i bought 6" flat steel and made my own to relieve extra weight on chain. will try to get some pics tomorrow. the "baffle" i made isn't pretty cuz i was in a pinch but it does direct the salt right onto the spinner
    steve

9. stackmaster

Pics would be awesome. Thanks for the info guys. Mine has the inverted vee but maybe its too small and still allowing too much weight on the chain. I haven't modified the spinner yet but am putting the spreader in the truck on Thurs so will take a closer look and maybe take some pics of my own.:salute:

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hey Stackmaster.... I took your advice and checked out this site... pretty cool. Lots to read.... Remember me? Dave from Fort Garry? We sorted out your gear box / chain & sprocket problem the other day.

I briefly read the discussion above. Regarding the conveyor not starting sometimes, I agree with the fellow who suggested installing / adjusting the inverted V. If you have one you should drop it down a bit because the material is putting too much load on the conveyor chain making it too sitff to get started. Of course it you don't have one then see Terry and get one. That will certainly make a difference.

11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Any pics of the Fabs you guys are talking about

12. stackmaster

Hey Mishnick !!!! Thanks for all your help the other day. Good to see you joined the site, Welcome.
    As it turns out, I am heading out right now to reinstall my inverted V so I will check the distances and snap a few pics to post for Mackman.

13. stackmaster

14. stackmaster

This first pic is just showing The width of the inverted V (8"). The third pic is the v before installation and is sitting directly on the conveyor to show how much of the conveyor is covered by the v. The fourth pic is the distance from the conveyor chain to the bottom of the v and the last pic is the distance on one end of the conveyor that is not covered by the v.
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89982&stc=1&d=1294785146

Tornado spreader 001.JPG

Tornado spreader 002.JPG

Tornado spreader 003.JPG

Tornado spreader 006.JPG

Tornado spreader 008.JPG