1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Torn between two trucks. help me out!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jondoom, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jondoom

jondoom Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1991 K5 Blazer with a 350 and Meyer EZ mount Classic 7.5ft. The trucks I'm looking at are a 1998 GMC Sierra K3500 regular cab 8ft bed with 103k and a 5.7 Vortec or a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD extended cab 6ft bed with a duramax and 213k. The 98 is $5000 and the 01 is $5900. The 98 is practically mint, the owner replaced just about every part on the truck an undercoated it with an anti-fouling material. The 01 has some body damage on the 1/4 panel, a cracked windshield, broken radio and definitely could use some new leather seats.

The 98 Sierra has a Western controller mounted in the cab and the clevis for what looks like a quick disconnect system (2 pins and the whole thing comes off?) The 01 has nothing and I'd end up using my hoop/controller/blade and buying an EZ mount clevis for it.

I live in the inner city, and I have to park whatever I pick on the street, so I'm leaning towards the regular cab with the 8ft bed. I could always put a toolbox on the back for storage, since I'm losing the back seat, and still have 6ft to work with. Long story short, which truck is the better buy? The 98 K3500 that's essentially ready to go, or the 01 2500HD with 100k more miles and needs about another $1000+ into it to look good.

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Neither. Get a Ford. J/K. Get the 98

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd buy the 98 way before I bought the 01. The 01-04 Duramax motors aren't bad but they do have problems and I think you'd be wishing you bought the 98 when you have to do injectors in the 01, head gaskets, or other expensive and time consuming repairs.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Check the frame on the 98 in the front. I would not even consider the diesel. I personally would look for something under 10 years old.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Op seems you've already made up your mind.
    Get the gasser

6. jondoom

jondoom Junior Member
    from NJ

Unfortunately I'm not willing to spend the money for something under 10 years old when I'll only be putting about 5000 miles a year on it. I walk to work, and even if I get this new job I'm in the interview process for, I'll be taking the subway. I bought a 2002 Camaro SS with 20,000 miles in 2007. 10 years later and it's just broke 40k. I bought the Blazer in 2009 with 196k on it and it now has 230, so I'm not too put off by the mileage on the duramax. But as some have said, it seems like there's a lot of maintenance that goes into the first generation of that motor.

As far as what I'm going to be plowing, well I have 6 commercial lots of varying sizes. Two of the lots are quite small. My Blazer went down this winter and I borrowed my fathers Ram 2500 crew cab with the 6ft bed. It was far too big for those lots and it took quite awhile to hit certain spots and lots of angling. Also, the turning radius was quite frankly, garbage. I'm assuming both these trucks have a better radius for plowing. I drove a 2000 K3500 mason dump (gas job maybe a 454?) for a guy this winter with a 8 or 9ft plow and it ran like a champ

I think I'll go test drive the K3500 this weekend and see how it runs. How do the vortecs run compared to the 350TBI? Other than my Camaro, every vehicle I've owned has been TBI or carbed.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

id keep looking

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

In your situation I would go with the 98, Is the 98 a dually?

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I think you have answered your own question. Go with the 98. Diesels don't like to sit not being run. If you are going to be looking for a used Western unimount, I might be selling one of mine. Post a picture of the plow frame if you buy it.

10. jondoom

jondoom Junior Member
    from NJ

I've ran across a couple other trucks. Both are 95's. Ones a 1500 6.5TD with a Meyer plow and the other is a 95 2500 Sierra with a BOSS 8ft. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to the craigslist ads here, but I will anyway. Mods can edit my post if necessary. I'm not selling these trucks, just sharing what I'm looking at.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5669462056.html
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5675120534.html

And here's the original 98 that I've talked about.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5669188527.html
    I went to see this truck over the weekend. It's got it's dings an dents, but it idled well. I'm not sure the owner has it registered or insured, I need to take it for a drive before I pull the trigger. I could get down the block an the transmission slips like crazy...

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

From what I hear 10 years gets you 20 years...

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Fixed it fur ewe

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

10 minutes only get you 18 years I believe...