1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

topkick truck with cat motor ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by sweetk30, Feb 4, 2011.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have a friend with a mid to late 90's topkick . its the cat motor with allision auto.

he is getting coolent in the return line of the fuel system.

any one familer with this problem ?

thanks guys.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a 3116 engine.If nobody can answer here,go to Heavy Equipment Forum--there's a couple of Cat mechanics there,Atco for one comes to mind.
  3. sweetk30

thanks Thumbs Up

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The pump is cooled with coolant. It's only in the return line? I assume he's getting coolant in the fuel? Does he have a heated tank that runs coolant through it?
  5. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking fuel injector cups/cracked head. It's been years since I've worked on one. See if its a 3116(mechanical injection) or a 3126(HEUI injection). I can't remember what yeat they switched.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  6. sweetk30

fuel in return line only.

got truck like this. never drivin since found problem. he hooked up return to seperate jug to move around farm when he needed to keep clean fuel in tank.

its a old ryder truck so i will pop the hood and check exact info on motor tag when i get a chance.

if injector cups or head were is a good place to get reman head to fix it. i have heard fixing the cups or seals is a pita and requires special tools.
  7. demonic

demonic Junior Member

i bought a 95 topkick with a 3116. it had a fuel heater under the drivers door that used coolant to heat the fuel. i was getting water in my fuel at that point. i removed the heater and the problem went away.also the injector coppers are more known for letting combustion pressure into the fuel system or coolant into the oil via the top of the head. i replaced my injectors and had the coppers cut just recently.
  8. sweetk30

will check it out.