1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Topkick C8500

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by peteo1, Dec 8, 2015.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these trucks. We're looking at buying a C8500 tandem with a cat 3116 engine and Allison automatic transmission. Curious to know how these trucks are for towing and hauling capability. Seems to be a great shape for it's age but not having a chance to drive it makes me wonder how it will do. Thanks in advance for any information

2. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

Try to get an accurate hour reading. Take the hours on the truck and multiply by 35 this will give you a close wear rating on the engine. This is how it was explained to me by a cat service manager. For example if the engine has 3500 hours on it, the estimated mileage due to idle time is 122,500. Also have them send you a video of the engine running with the oil fill cap removed!. If it looks like a train smoke stack then the rings are gone. 3116's are great motors but I've been told they do not like to idle their life away. These are also one of the only cat engines that can not be sleeved. To have them overhauled can be upwards of $16000 at a cat dealer. I hope this helps.

3. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

We have 2 8500's for the farm. One older with the 3116 and 8 speed which sucks with a load of corn. And the other is a newer with the Allison auto, but has the duramax/Isuzu engine. We can pull out of the field in a damp field with no problems. Ruts are upto 10" deep. Has a 22' box and a steerable tag. It'll go 70+ with a load.