1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TopKick 2WD plowing?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by merrimacmill, Oct 14, 2009.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Is anyone here plowing with a two wheel drive Top Kick? How does it work with some weight in the back? I know all you old timers out there always used to plow with 2wd, but I never have, so I'm wondering how it would work. I have the opportunity to get my hands on a 2wd 5500 at a good price, and am trying to decide if I'd do alright with it and a 9 foot straight blade.
  2. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

i have a 07 4500 dump. its 2 wheel drive with a 10'v-box spreader with a 10' boss straight blade. its plows just fine.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

With some weight in the box it will do just fine. actually, it will do great. thats a tough truck to plow with, can push a lot.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

9' is too small, go with a 10' and load it up.
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Yeah get a 10 footer. We have a few and they work fine. They are pretty nimble for such a large truck
  6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I plowed all last year with a 2wd 3500hd flatbed with no weight added. You just have to be smart, I got hung up once because the blade slid over a pile but i was able to work it out and get unhooked without help.