1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Top Three Things

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captadamnj, Jan 13, 2011.

1. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

What's new to you this year (or recently) that you wouldn't want to plow without? Here's my list -

1) Wings for the plow (Western's own on a Pro Plus) - The time savings is incredible in terms of clean up work required. Hard to believe, would never want to plow without again.

2) Back up camera - Have a factory camera mounted in the tailgate handle bezel. Only builds up with snow when driving down the road, have to give it a quick clean after travel between sites, stays good while plowing. My neck thanks me.

3) Heated windshield wiper fluid - After bending my wiper arms due to snow build up in the boxing day storm, decided to put the AlphaTherm AT-380D system in my truck. Under $80 and under an hour to install. Spent 6 hours out in heavy snow this last go around and my windshield was CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Just amazing. Highly recommend. Combined with the beam style or booted blades, won't have to worry about cleaning wipers or windshield again.

What's on your list?
  2. Bartlett_2

Bartlett_2 Senior Member

1) I agree with the wings if you have a straight blade.
    2) Gloves, since I handle a lot of salt. Dries my hands bad.
    3) My Iphone, can listen to my music, check weather, etc....
  3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

1) Reverse Light (Back up Buddy)
    2) Snow Plow brand snow shovel
    3) Butt cushion
  4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

The 3 things I absolutely need are

1 My Iphone - let those customers call
    2 Gatorade G2 - to keep me hydrated
    3 Pack of Trojans - since woman cant reisist my sexy plow truck prsport
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

3 things I must have for the truck:
    1. Back-Up Lights
    2. Heated Mirrors
    3. Shovel

3 things I must have for me:
    1. Gatorade
    2. Gloves
    3. Rubber Boots
  6. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Additons for me this year, also. They just didn't make my top 3. :)

I may have to reconsider, however, because the Snow Plow shovel really is something special. (I bought 2 this year, an 18" for steps and a 28" for walks.) My kids had a full day of school on Wednesday (shocker!) and I got home to find she had shoveled a good bit of the driveway herself using one! :D
  7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

1. Backup buddy
    2. Shovel
    3. Phone
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

1.....8..White Castle Burgers

2....Toilet Paper....

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

#1 A weekend with Katherine Keigl
    #2 New F350 Super Duty loaded in Forest Green with Fisher 9.5 Xtreame V with Wings
    #3 Another weekend with Katherine Keigl...........................
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Do you mean Katherine Heigle? If so then I'm going to change my ansers to your ansers. :D
  11. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

1. Back up alarm and four corner LED strobe lights

Boss finally bought some for my truck this year and I don't know how I plowed without them. I get really nervous plowing around areas that have a lot of foot traffic, especially younger kids or older adults.

2. Quality Snow Pants

Sadly, I do not get to ride around in a truck all night, so I bought a pair with a cargo pocket and zippered side pockets for when I have to hop out and snow blow sidewalks. They aren't as bulky as typical snow pants and they only go up to my waist; so I just wear them all the time.

3. Backpack Blower

Yes, I'm serious. A while back we tried using our Stihl backpacks for clearing sidewalks with marginal success. This year my boss suggested I try our new Shinidaiwa blower, which is much more powerful, for cleaning some sidewalks. The blower does really well for cleaning up small accumulations and really helps to get rid of that salty, slush mix - now I carry it in the truck and use it as much as our Toro blower.
  12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

1. Boss 9' 2" VXT
    2. General Altimax Artics
    3. Everblades Heated Windshield Wipers
  13. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

So whens this new truck gonna show up??? lol
  14. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

#1) 4' stick of rebar for bridged bulk salt in vbox

#2) blackberry - aka mobile office

#3) 30" snowplow shovel. Only one word describes these shovels: awesome.
  15. tjslider

tjslider Member

My top three:

1:) iPhone w/ bluetooth headphones -- answer without the hands leaving the controls!!
    2:) Insulated vinyl gloves for salt work
    3:) New Toro blower
  16. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

1. latex dipped, winter knit gloves. the rubber keeps your hands dry and warm while messing with chains, load binders and frozen ramps all night

2. my Droid X and interconnect for skid steer radio. I can stream music and sirius radio all night (and day), there's always something to jam out to now!

3. the (upgraded) cloth seat and seat warmer in my Case skid! No more swass from the vinal seats and the warmer is really nice on the lower back
  17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Top 3

1 Wings
    2 Spreader
    3 Additional lighting up front

18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

1. Tailgate Spreader...bought used, sure beats that walk behind thing

2. Snowblower...also bought used, it may be heavier to lift out of the truck then the shovel, but shoveling sucks

3. Camera Phone...Still learning how to use it, but it'll be worth it the next time I see the DOT guy plowing a 6 lane highway with a pickup truck
  19. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

These can be a great tool too. I use mine to take pictures of potential "issues," like damaged cars parked close to piles who might try to claim I did the damage. :gunsfiring:
  20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea Mercer see what 5 glasses of wine can do to you ?????? Imagine what 10 glasses would do to a fella! I buy it now by the cask!!! I notice that consumtion is much higher when it DOES NOT SNOW !