1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

top paid plowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by duramax-king, Mar 2, 2010.

how much do you make a year?

1. $1-$5000

27 vote(s)
  2. $5000-$20000

40 vote(s)
  3. $20000-$100000

47 vote(s)
  4. $100000+

18 vote(s)
  1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

hey guys just wondering how much do you guys pull in a season?
  2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You might want to be more specific with your criteria. If a contractor can't make $100K (gross, of course) a season, they're doing it wrong. Subs are a different story, as are "one truck shows". Not really apples to apples.

Just wanted to put it out there before things blow up in a direction you didn't intend on.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

What if your only 17 and you're still in school? Then am I doing it wrong if Iam not grossing a 100k
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i think ur more a student then a contractor;)

and im a sub so it all depends on the snowfall
  5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Oops I guess I dindnt see the word contractor, so I'll just tell you you my contractor makes, 150,000. He used to be able to make 350k but more people got in the business, he's 38 yrs old and makes a little over a million a year for lawn and landscaping, and stuff. So he must be doing something right
  6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I try not to make much money cause it's illegal here unless your a banker. What I earn I prefer not to share.:D
  7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

not sure what everyones obsession with money is right now, guys wanting sqft pricing of competitors, others wanting to know how much we make off snow. Here is a question for all the guys wanting this info, may I have your social insurance #, and a copy of your last 5 years income tax returns? JUST CURIOUS!!! of course :D
  8. Westhardt Corp.

If you're 17, still in school....and asking about this stuff, then you should be commended on seemingly having some focus on (awareness of, even) the road ahead of you. I know at that age I sure as hell didn't, although interestingly I did obtain my first snow job (no pun, ha!) just out of high school (driving a salt truck). However, I had no thoughts about doing it long term, much like any other HS grad. Not even on my radar at the time.

Keep your nose on that grindstone, and you'll be just fine. Not to mention light years ahead of a lot of folks in 10 years or so.

9. Westhardt Corp.

My tax returns all read zero.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i bet the IRS loves you!!!
  11. Westhardt Corp.

"Hey, we're in a recession here. Lucky to be breaking even, I say..."

12. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I got my first plow route at 17, with my 84 S-10, and been plowing ever since, mostly "under the table" and finally at 25 I'm tired of being laid off and working for nothing and decided it's time to make a go at being a real business, scared as hell but so far I'm making it through my first winter...barely and hoping for some good fortune to get me mowing grass this summer
  13. Westhardt Corp.

I won't say that working for someone else is flat out bad, but in the current state of "blame the economy for everything and fire 1/3 of our employees because we're scared" it's not what it used to be. I had a lot of other truck operators ask me "how did you get your own work?" when they learned that I wasn't always working for someone else, but had my own work. I simply told them "a lot of hard ******* work and persistence". You'd have sworn I just showed fire to the caveman--it was that "<gasp!> how'd he do *that?!*" That's why I have work when many other trucks are parked, playing Nintendo.

Apparently, the old "look up and wait for the work to fall from the sky" method isn't working so well these days.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  14. Expenses are a killer :laughing:

I wonder if a Jeep Patriot could pass as a plow truck :confused:

I wish they would offer snowplowing 101 in school so my kids tuition was a business expense :)

Is a Caribbean cruise a medical expense for stress reduction ?
  15. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the quote was, If I had $150,000 I would keep trucking until it was all gone? ....:laughing:
  16. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

so far our owner operators have made between 8-14 k depending on equipment per route.
  17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Were definetely over the Million dollar mark......:waving:
  18. bosman

bosman Senior Member

My accountant has been telling me for years not to make any money, so if I'm real good I won't make any money this year either.
  19. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I went to Hawaii 2 years ago to buy a used plow, It took 2 weeks to look it over, decided not to buy it:D
  20. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I take friends snowboarding and that is a business expense as I am entertaining prospective clients.