1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Top of the Line

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave3, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Dave3

Dave3 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I live in central Indiana and the Boss plow seems to be the top of the line here. What do you guys that live where it really snows use? I'm new here and curious as to what the "best" really is. (I hope this does not start a fight)

2. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Up here in N.Vermont it seems mostly Fishers on half to one tons and Snoways on the small trucks and SUVs.I personally prefer Fisher myself :D .

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Anything and everything around here.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I doubt that there is one "best". I have two Fishers. I'm also considering a Boss V plow for my next one.

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i also dont think there is any one best brand. they're all pretty good.

all plows will eventually break, so it's more important to buy a plow that you have dealer support for.
    get a dealer thats close by, and services and stocks parts for your plow.

6. sk8boss

sk8boss Junior Member
    from PA

I see a lot of meyer and western here in PA. I am staring to notice Fisher, and there are a couple of Boss V. And even funnier are the blue ones that they sell from Sams club. A saw a couple of those, brand new of course, I have yet to see them used! I dont think they will hold to a commercial plow test..

7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I live in North Central Indiana, a couple of miles south of Michigan, and you mostly see Western and Meyers around here.

John

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im in NJ and it seems alot of OLD plow trucks on the road have Meyers or Westerns. Alot of the NEW trucks have Meyer or Western also, but starting to see more and more Fisher MM and MM2. Very rare to see anything else here but the 3 I named. You do see a Curtis here and there and I saw a Hiniker once and a Sno-Way once also I believe but thats about it. Mike

9. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I also live in PA. I see a lot of old meyer and western plows here too. I noticed the last storm that the guys doing the local Walmart were using Fisher plows. I know a guy with a snoway vee plow. Heard from my mechanic that he installed a Blizzard plow on a guys truck....haven't seen it around yet. Even saw a Boss vee plow for the first time a couple weeks ago.

sk8boss...what part of PA are you in? :waving:

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

the only one MEYER!!

11. sk8boss

sk8boss Junior Member
    from PA

mulchmonkey: I am right below you in a-town! Ur at the worlds fastest 1 mile oval right?

12. Dave3

Dave3 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I've never heard of fisher where are they made? It seems everyone here buys a Vee when they buy a new one. I lived in Iowa a few years and there were Northerns they were blue.

13. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Mostly Boss V's and Meyers here in WI. Once and a while you see a Blizzard, Sno-Way, or Western. I rarely see a fisher. I also see the occasional home-made plows :D

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The only one I've seen outside Sam's Club was stuck in a snowbank with no vehicle attached. It looked like it must have come off the truck and they just left it there. I got laughing pretty good over that one, too bad I didn't have a camera.

Home Depot now has an orange version of the same plow I saw last week.

15. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I live in Fort Wayne in northeastern Indiana and the overwhelming majority of plows here are definitely Western. I'd say the not so close second would be Meyer. You see a few others here and there Fisher, Curtis, Hiniker, Boss... But, mostly Western. The strange thing is-we are a city of over 300,00 and the closest Western dealer is about 30 miles north of us (and they have no 24hr help). I love my Western though.:nod:

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Dave3, Fisher Engineering is in Rockland, Maine. About 30 miles from me on the coast.

17. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

Mostly Meyers and Westerns in Northern Va. Starting to see a few Boss v plows in the area. I will be looking into a Boss plow for my next truck. :waving:

18. MLB

MLB Senior Member

Where you been? :)

Hey Simone! Guess you missed W.A. Jones's new place in NEW HAVEN!! About 5 minutes from my house :):drinkup:

19. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Go with the plow manufacturer that has a good dealer in your area, has a good stock of parts and know how they work.

20. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

wow, we're practically neighbors..haha..you got it right, good old Nazareth. Can't keep your truck clean for more than 12 hrs b/c of the cement dust and if you're lucky you can try and race Mario Andretti while he's out driving one of his lamborgini's on a warm summer night :eek: :waving: