1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Top Kick c4500 Payload Capacity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J&D, Feb 12, 2015.

1. J&D

J&D Member

To whom can answer would be awesome.

I am looking into a 2003 GMC top kick c4500. It has a 12ft landscape dump on it.

My question:

Does anyone know the payload capacity on this truck? Or can anyone tell me, if you own one, how much weight you have loaded in it. Cause we all over load our trucks.

I have tried to search this on the net and have not come up with many concrete answers.

Thanks in advance

2. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

Not sure what it weighs but the GVW is probably 17,500. I have a 5500 and the GVW is 19,500. The way mine sits, I can probably haul 7-8 K

3. dgterp

dgterp Junior Member

We have a 2007 with a 12' flat bed dump. We haul 4 pallets of salt(2500# each) routinely. Guessing we are severely over weight but the truck doesn't seem to notice.

4. J&D

J&D Member

Thanks. Would you recommend buying?

5. dgterp

dgterp Junior Member

With the Duramax and Allison transmission it has been a great truck. Turning radius is a plus as well

6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a GVW tag near the drivers door.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

So does the truck hold more on lawnsite or plowsite? Will it carry 3 tons of bricks or 3 tons of feathers?

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Just look on the door it'll tell you

9. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I also have a 2003 4500. My GVW on the door jamb is 16,000. Empty weight is approx 10,000. So legally a 3 ton load is max. I have had loaders at the stone yard put 6 in when I tell them 3 and the truck handles it fine even with a s185 bobcat on back, thank goodness the job was right down the street.

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'd imagine you're not supposed to haul over four yards with a 4500 or a 5500 but, there is a guy in my area that puts six yards on his 5500's. I don't know how those small trucks can handle but, they seem to do okay.

11. m297

m297 Member

They made 2 different rated trucks in the C4500, 16000 and 17500, depends how it was out fitted from the factory.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

3 Tons legal, 5 tons max

6 Tons if your going down the street..