1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toolcat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FredG, Nov 7, 2015.

1. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I know there was a lot of talk about the toolcat. I know where there is one. They got it listed as one cly. 2 wheel drive. I can see in the pics it's all wheel steer. Is there a lot of different kinds. Meaning 2 or 4 wheel gas or diesel. I have no knowledge of these the city's don't even own them around here.

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Oomkes has owned Toolcats......He will give a solid review....Once he climbs outa the bunker so he has internet.......:nod:

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Got ya, Did he have a late night chasing the ladies? I'm on my first smoke and coffee.:D

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

No......He is "Busy" all night on MANY internet sites spreading his Joy and Wisdom.......:dizzy:

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Awesome piece of equipment. Doesn't like salt very much. Pricey to maintain. Too pricey for me. All are diesel and four wheel steer.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Are they all 4x4? When you say they don't like salt you mean there rust buckets.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

All are 4WD and 4WS. And diesel. And amazing machines. And expensive to maintain after 3-4 years. If I had enough summer work to justify owning one, I would have just replaced mine, but I don't.

It will outplow a truck on small to medium lots, not on large lots.

They have their place for sure. Just know what you're getting into.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Thanks, I got it now,

9. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

The other bonus is they are user friendly so you can throw anyone in it if they have no skid experience... Plus haul another body (shoveler) with them on a large property. Newer ones have independent rear suspension and ride alot nicer. But the little older ones I have heard actually lift more and have a little more azz to them.... As others have stated rust can get to them, I have rhino lined floor boards, rockers and bed... The bed new to replace is 5k so just need to be proactive on taking care of them...

10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

When he said expensive he means it but there are ways around some parts. The one your looking at if you were to replace the box because of rust it is $6000. You could make one cheaper. The one we bought needed a tie rod end, $418. found one at the local auto parts store for $26. just had to cut both in half welded back together and sleeved it for strengh. It needed leaf springs in the back $250. each side, found some trailer leaf springs the same size for a fraction of the price. I needed some u joints in the axle shaft, they dont even service them have to by the whole axle shaft thats BS, I didnt even ask the price. Back to my favorite parts store sized the u joints and got them. I had to replace some bearings in the steering knuckle because of rust, had to get from bobcat $50. each and wasnt easy to work on. I am sure the hydraulics are even more costly. Other then that its a great machine.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Yes I would just fab something for the back bed. I don't worry about parts much. I go to the heavy equipment forums and those guys no of places for parts that I never knew existed. Saved me a lot of time and money. No question you could find parts that will work without going to the dealer.

It's not doing much as far as bids. I don't think anybody around here knows much about them. Unless there scared of the recon.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Mark, What do you mean by knowing what I'm getting into. This toolcat needs reconditioning and have no intention of going in debt. I don't believe it would have a place in my summer operations. Meaning grading parking lots and installing pipe and asphalt. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ just want to be clear. What is the recommended pusher,plow, hydroturn? Most guys are thinking 10' pusher.

I think I'm convinced it would be a useful machine by others and your opinion on them. They are saying not for road use but in the pics. they got NY tags on it. Are they purchased new with registrations-Titles.

13. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

10' box is a stretch on one 8' box is ok could go larger with blade 9-10'. Broom is great for walks just depends what your plans are...

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I have a bombi for walks. Really have no plans for it. It needs reconditioning I will have to get that done and actually see what it will do. I never been even close to one. No one has one around here not even the city's.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fred, just the potential expenses is what I'm referring to.

Personally, I would go with a 10' box. I had an 810 on mine and it was undersized.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Thank you, I got Ya.