1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toolcat with a pull plow?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Kirby ent, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I was looking at the toolcat today and I wonder if you could beef up the hitch so you could put a pull plow on it? It would be an awesome machine for driveways with pull plow and blower on front!
    I am really stuck between a tractor with blower or toolcat.
    Mike

2. toolcat

Go with the toolcat, it is a excellent snow machine. And much more versitale than a tractor...

3. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I know but do you think it is better then 2 tractors. They are so damm expensive - else I would have 1 already!

4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I bought a Toolcat last fall and was so impressed with it's performance that I sold my CAT 910 and bought another Toolcat! I had originally intended to buy an S250 but after see and driving the Toolcat, bought it instead. I have a blower, and snow bucket. I also put on studded mud and snows and did not need chains (and did not get stuck) last winter.

5. Tool Cat

One toolcat vs. one tractor or two?? Make up you mind bro..... Either way, a Toolcat will smoke two tractors with a front mount Erskine Blower. My next machine will be a toolcat. And if you are worried about the price. Get what you can afford.....

Yo Tim, Dave Bauer here (CAT226B). Switched up the screen name for my new busisness name. Any snow flying this weekend? I can see snow at the top of the Mountains behind my house..... Old Mr. Winter is snooping around.....!!!!

6. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

toolcat

greetings from so. lake, I bought a new Bobcat S220 last year with a Bobcat 84" blower, did real well, was looking at the tool cat, but was not sure about versatility. we are turning further away accounts, accepting myers only. my son and I are both fireman and working it together, a lot of seasonal accounts. mostly vacation rentals. thinking about adding another blower, mabe a toolcat. even with a 2 speed,on the bob cat, still slow going from one account to another. with the toolcat not being hi flow how does it handle the deep stuff?
    just curious, how much do you bid for seasonal accounts? I have been getting 550 up, depending on slope size etc. average $600 season. over here the back hoe and plow guys, having tough time stacking, or pushing, county no letting them stacking in right of way or property not owned by home owner. I would like to see more guys from deep snow country posting. see ya Bob.

7. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

pro - I am trying too but waiting for some one to answer about the hitch?
    I meant two tractors vs one toolcat! Two operators at each end of the route and still have 15k in my pocket.
    Dealer quoted me 55k canadian - are they 47k in your area?
    Thanks Mike

8. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Are the studded mud and snows from bobcat?

9. YoGetMyDrift I trailer one of my CAT track skid steer with blower. I can do several accounts with ease. And no excess wear and tear on the machine. I tow a trailer completely chained up with my Dodge Diesel 2500 4 x 4. Works excellent.....

Kirby a tool cat will pay for itself in the first season if you have the right type of accounts. You have to spend money to make it.... And out in the Sierra Nevada Mountains where YoGetMyDrift, Timm9 and myself plow. Skid steers and toolcats with blowers are at the cutting edge of snow removal.... Pound for pound the best equipment on my side of the hill.....

Dave

10. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

The studded tires are not from Bobcat. They are from a local tire store. In hind sight, there were two things that I did right when I bought the Toolcats. One was the two speed version which saves big time traveling from account to account (not to mention the "one shots" after the accounts are done) and the other is the high flow.

Dave, good to hear from you! Hope all is well with you and yours! If I remember correctly, you were expecting a new baby? No snow yet. I'm hoping it does not snow for another week. I have $35,000 worth of paving gong down next week!

Your are right Dave, The Toolcat/Blower combo is the "cutting edge" for snow around here. I recently had a fellow snow removal guy (works in a town near me) call and ask if he could see and drive one of the Toolcats. He has been doing snow for 25 years (mostly mid sized loaders) and is seriously looking at the Toolcats. Faster, less cost to buy, and service and parts are WAY cheaper than CAT!

11. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

tool cat

The main reason I bought the Bobcat last year was that they didnt have a high flow option which woudnt allow the blower to move the heavy stuff as well. but your right about the big blowers you can move a heck of a bunch of snow quick. I also found myself moving it around on a trailer, worked out pretty well except around Jan 2nd when we had 4 feet of snow over night, and even the county plows hadnt shown up to clear the streets,but the first year I had to take customers further away. this year I am not taking customers farther than 2 miles away.

This year I will probably pay the cat off, so next year mabe well go for a toolcat. the state bought a Holder for the CHP station and the CCC camp says cost them about 100gs. Id have to quit my day job to pay for it, but it is nice,but it cant lift the blower up to get the deep drifts. a lot of the plow guys were calling us to help them move the deep stuff. chained up on all 4s there was nothing, except the big shopping mall lots we coudnt clear. I'll try to post a picture for those eastern fellows of a 50 ft. drive with 7 feet of snow, took us about 45 min. to clear.:redbounce :nod:

12. reply.....

Your right Tim I have a 2 month old son:bluebounc . Cruz Anthony Bauer is his name.!!!! Born two weeks early by C section and was 9 lbs.

I will get a lot of video this winter and post it on the forum for guys to see how well my machines and some of the locals toolcats work. I can not wait for the white stuff.....!!!!!

Dave

13. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Ok here are the facts! Thanks for the advice in advance.

We don't get near the snow you guys get: less then 2 inches is an average snow fall, maybe 4 blizzards a year that are greater then 4 inches.
    All of our accounts are contracts by the winter so we get paid no matter what but we go even if it is very light.
    All accounts are residential houses (100 plus) with very small 3 car drives around 25 feet deep on average. We also have 5 sets of condos which have about 20 houses in each and these drives are even smaller (2car drives).
    The last 10 years we have 4 crews of 2 or 3 guys doing separate routes with shovels and walk behind blowers! The blower is needed maybe 40% of the time - that's how light our snow is.
    Now hiring has become a huge headache so I am looking at the Toolcat or a couple small tractors.
    I posted the question about weather or not a toolcat hitch could support a pull blade because are snow is very light. I thought back in: pull it on the street and blow it on the lawn while proceeding to next account or just blow it if it's deep.
    The speed of the toolcat is the biggest advantage I see. I used my 751 bobcat 3 times last year when it was deep, it was great but very slow in-between accounts.
    Anyway I will gross 90k this winter with about 45k in expenses based on the past.
    Thanks again guys
    Mike

14. Mike you have a lot of expenses based off your gross winter income. What causes it to be so high? I could not imagine having 45K in expenses.

And about not needing a blower. If you have a set contracted price. You would actually make more money because you could perform the work much faster and effecient. Blowers are not just for deep snow......

And yes we did stray a little from you original question...

But don't waste your time or money on a pull blower. Much easier and more effecient to use a front mounted blower. You can also fabricate a back drag system for your front mounted blower. We are installing a hydraulic back drag door on all of our Erskine blowers. The door enable us to pull within 6" of a garage door or building and then put the door down and back drag while blowing at the same time. Works excellent...... I welded one up last year and it worked so good that I built them for all my blowers....

And yeah we do get a lot of snow on the West Coast. 4 foot and larger snow storm is very common in our area......

Good luck Mike. Hope you have a great winter.......:)

15. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

Thanks a ton pro.
    Yes we had a lot of expenses last few years. We have 10- 15 employees per snow fall, and 5 trucks and 5 Honda blowers to maintain.
    We have to do the steps and walks of all these places too so I still need some people to shovel but I think the toolcat would help a bunch.
    Can you describe how your hyd. back drag system works?
    Mike

16. fans

fans Junior Member

Kirby

Have you thought about a front mounted broom instead of a blower for that depth of snow?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Kirby, I think a plow or broom would be better for you than a blower.

I would absolutley love to see a 3-point hitch on a Toolcat. The PTO is there, now just need that hitch. If Bobcat doesn't come up with one soon, I will be paying someone to design and build one for me. I just wish they would do it. Can't get an answer on if or when it will be a factory option.

And whoever mentioned the lack of a hi-flow option, if you missed it, Bobcat did add this option in the last year or so.

18. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Dave,

Congrats on the new addition to the family!!! Before you know it he will be running one of your snow machines.

I just ordered another blower for the newest Toolcat. "You are right on the money" regarding time savings with the blower. The first time I ran my route with the blower I figured (incorrectly) that it would take longer to complete. I was stunned when I discovered that I actually did my route in less time (including travel time) than I have been able to do it with my 04 GMC with the Boss V Blade. The blower is not just for deep snow. The lighter snow depth will make the route go even faster.

Tim

19. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

The drives are small with garages, so I think it would be hard to broom it on to the lawn. Plus lots of the properties have heavy vegetation right next to the drive. This is why plows are useless for us!

20. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

The problem is Mark there is no room to push snow on to most of the properties. We usually shovel it to the side and the blow it on to the lawn. I am not sure if the toolcat is to big of a machine or not for our small properties. I know it will be great in deep stuff but I want something when the snow is light as well. Pro has me thinking about his back blade on the blower.
    Mike