1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toolcat Photos and Opinions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SD-Dave, Mar 19, 2006.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I am seriously considering replacing my mid-size tractor TN-75 Cab (see gallery photos) with a toolcat (5600 turbo high-flow cab 2006) I now own a larger JD 3800 Tele-handler for big snow and other dirt and cargo moving tasks (it kicks ass!) Basically having a larger machine I now feel I can afford a smaller more maneuverable machine. Have a small and large vs a medium and large.

I am looking for some advice on attachments specifically plow, blower, bucket, tires, lights (strobe and work) and any other tips. Some photos of your machines in all there glory would also be great and very much appreciated.

Lastly I would use the machine for landscaping duties, property maintenance and quite a bit of mowing. I am planning on getting the 90” bobcat finish mower. Anyone have any experience with mowing with theirs? Specifically mowing speed, slope ability, wet ground traversing etc. I am referring to using it for large scale semi-finish mowing around large properties, commercial sites etc…not z-quality finish mowing type mowing at luxury homes etc.

Thanks for the help and hopefully lots of pictures.

SD-Dave :jester:

Ps. Anyone looking for great TN with all kinds of snow etc attachments drop me a line :redbounce
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

a local guy has a toolcat.

he LOVES his high flow blower. To give him credit, he has a nasty little hill he does with 30 or so accounts, averaging 1/4 mile each, and they get probably 20 feet of snow a year.

He has a blade, and never uses it. says the dirt bucket is much more useful, even for commercial sidewalks.

does have a rotary field mower. uses it some. the toolcat is not as rugged as a skid steer. different tool though, as it also doesn't tear up lawns like a skid.

hope this helps,
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search, there's a couple members from Lake Tahoe that are using them and rgjlawns (I think is his name) from Fort Wayne has one.

I'm still dreaming of one. Someday, though.
  4. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the info...I've ran multiple searchs and read all available...many of the reason why I am so close to placing an order for one. I would however love some of the owners to jump in an yield their opinions to my questions. Additionally I would love to see some great pictures of their machines decked out with blower, plows lights etc.

Come on guys I know some of you are out there....brag, bloviate and break out the photo albums.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

dreamin of one of those! would love for someone to post some more pics of theirs on here! i think they are awsome
  6. Mark Oomkes

SD, they might be a little busy, I've heard that they've had upwards of 8' of snow in that region over the last week or so.

You could try PM'ing them as well, but if they're moving snow, it's still going to be a little bit.

I don't know if there is any plowing related info there, but you could also check out: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/toolcat
  7. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

didn't realize they were western guys...that makes sense...if they got buried in the white stuff.

I did check out tractornet...there were a few helpful guys but not much action on the toolcat forum as of late. Nobody there had any photos of toolcats with plows lights etc as it would seem some here have. I will be patient and just wait for them to finish their duties and get back in here for some posting action.

8. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

OK guys...you must be dug out from that last big storm!

How about some toolcat pictures xysport

Many thanks in advance

SD-Dave wesport
  9. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I don't know about "dug out" ... the storms just keep coming. Each of my Drivers averaged 250 hours in March alone. Long range forcast is for more for the rest of this month.

It got to the point that the burms were so high the trucks with plows were usless for anything besides maintaining the contracts. Both Toolcats were keep very busy with "one shots". With the burms between 5 and 7 feet tall, the Toolcats with the Blowers were the only thing able to open up those driveways, not to mention do push backs on the commercial accounts.

We are very seriously discussing selling two of the trucks with V blades and adding another Toolcat.
  10. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Wow Timm, I had no idea...we here had an almost snowless winter...nonetheless and seriously looking at getting a toolcat real soon. Any photos of yours in action or how they are set up for their duties would be great.

Plow On!!

SD-Dave wesport
  11. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Here are a few pctures. Unfortunately, I'm usually so busy plowing I don't think to take any pictures...

12. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's mine with the bucket.

I'll post some pics soon with the blower and blade.

toolcat ESsmall.jpg
  13. Greensway

Greensway Member

Toolcat & 810SS

We finally got ours back with the 810 on it.
    I am not sure what size snow bucket that we will put on, but think it should be able to handle 88" - any thoughts?

14. Mark Oomkes

Greensway, nothing personal but you suck. JK

I love that setup, it is awesome. :nod: Wish I had one. Keep us updated on how it works for you.

PS I am now in need of a new keyboard, mine was just ruined by drool. :D
  15. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Good looking set up!

Let us know how it works with the 810. With respect to buckets, I have an 88" bucket for one of the Toolcats and have not had any difficulties. It is used only in unique applications where the blowers can't be used i.e. back dragging parking stalls etc.. As long as your snow is not real wet an 88" should be perfect.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If you dont mind me asking, how much is one of these toolcats?
    They look cool
  17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

man those things look nice and comfortable to plow in theyre small and simple and i bet get the job done
  18. snowcan

snowcan Member

You are fine with a big bucket, just don't get greedy in the wet stuff, you will notice it overworking. It goes over wet ground way better than any skid thats for sure, and there is a posi trac option for the rear wheels in 2 wheel steer. My 5600 goes up hills and angles that a skid wouldn't come close to without tipping. Sorry I don't have mower attachment so no info, but it works great for landscaping, doesn't mess up the terrain as much, but not quite as maneuverable as the 773 I traded in. It also lifts 1500 as oppossed to 1750 for the 773 and the lift height isn't as good but I didn't care. Now its 18mph down the road so less trailering, air conditioned/heated cab, dump box....these things are awsome. I don't have the high flow turbo but think it may be a good plan if you are going to use a blower or mower.......just do it.
  19. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

Hi Snowcan

Where in Ontario are you? I'm in Ottawa. Do you do mostly commercial or residential with the toolcat?

Cheers Dylan
  20. Greensway

Greensway Member

P1030006 (Small).JPG

I hear that it's on the way!!

Just checking to make sure how high it can be piled!

P1030003 (Small).JPG

Okay,,,, that will do!

P1030003 (Small).JPG

P1030006 (Small).JPG