1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

toolcat or another skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by big pusher, Sep 9, 2008.

1. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

I am thinking about adding a toolcat to my line up this year. I was just wondering how many people have plowed with them and how their production stacked up against a skidloader w/ a 10' box. I currently run two skidloaders w/ boxes and they do a good job but I was thinking that the 18mph of the toolcat compared to the 11mph of my 2-speed skidloaders might be nice. Would $40,000+ be better spent on a new toolcat or another large 2-speed skidloader w/ a box

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

depends on a few things... due you have a use for a tool cat in the summer? due you have a use for a bobcat in the summer? i personally, i would have very few places that the tool cat could be used... its too heavy to drive across turf repedibly with out damaging it...unless the ground is really firm. it really cant do that much digging, cant dump its load into a big truck (at leat not that i know of)

if you have a use for the bed, like with a spreader, for sidewalks , that might work nice.... i have also seen tool cats with a rear plow.... nice

i dont know how big of a pusher it could handle?

just all things to consider-

3. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I have a toolcat 5600T, and we use a 10ft protech push/pull on it. A toolcat will out plow a skid loader with the same push box any day of the week. You get much better traction with toolcat, and you can turn with a full box of snow. You just need about 1500lbs of ballast in the back, we put a half pallet of bagged salt on it, along with tailgate spreader, and you can't beat it in small lots. We use the toolcat in any size lot, and it runs circles around trucks and skid loaders. A skid with a full box, you lose traction and can't move.

I would purchase the toolcat. I thought ours would sit most of the summer, but we use it all the time for misc taks. It super nice to have the dump beds.

4. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

WMHLC thanks for the information. Do you plow in high speed mode or is that only for transport? I am afraid that it would sit most of the summer but I suppose a third skidloader would too.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

good info , would like to see some pics this year in action xysport

6. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

We plow in Rabbit mode. I have some pics, but no snow. Maybe this year

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

i guess if you had a material yard at your shop , it could load your trucks, leaving a SS to jobsites...?

it sounds cool tho

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

they don't lift very high.

they only pick up 1500 lbs

mine has been broke down 10X more than my skid's......

but would i buy another one

YOU BETCH'YA!

it's the handiest little gadget we have

i am surprised to hear WMHLC say that it'll out work the SS....mine is a turf model and it is kinda helpless in the mud. but on snow the turf tires are great, but i still dont think it would outpush a Skid, but mine is always on the sidewalk crew and ocasionally a small lot.

maybe WMHLC is comparing it to a 743 or something????? but i think my bigger CaT's will outpush. but i dunno?

anyhow good luck with it. and i just priced a new one the other day.....would you be interested in a used one? it's got 600hrs on it

i am trying to buy a new toolcat and a A-300 so it may be traded, i don't know yet.

PJ

9. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

PJ Thanks for the insight. I think I want to go w/ a D-series toolcat. I don't suppose yours is a D-series? The skidloaders I have are cat 246 w/ 2-speed. I don't really have a need for a sidewalk machine at this time but the thought is to plow smaller lots (1 or 2 acres) and road it (18mph) between sites. Will I be dissappointed w/ it's production plowing and salting lots compared to plowing w/ large 2-speed skidloaders?

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know much about plowing with either, in fact I have a thread about a very similar subject. However, I do think the toolcats are very unique machines, but personally for year-round use I would take a skid steer over one of those ANY day. Now, again I don't know what you do the rest of the year, maybe if you farm or are into property management the toolcat maybe a better choice for you.

Just my .000002

11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we have a 246C two-speed too,

i defiantly agree with WMHLC with the toolcat handling the corner better, the rest of it i am gonna have to take his word for. because i have no experience plowing with our's

but to answer youre Q' about do i think you'll be disappointed?, absolutely not! We have had a few problem's with our's but i would still buy another one.

Mine is not a "D" series, but the one i got a price yesterday on was, the way i spec'd it was......every option excluding hi-flo($1200 option). it has the power bob-tach,C/H/A, road pkg. cd player, etc. and the price was $41k or about $36k for a stripped down model.

PJ

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is that with air and heat? Also have you seen the new ones you can get 3 point hitch and PTO. but the only problem is you can't get a dump bed with it.

13. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Dave I have seen the ones w/ a 3 point and the look pretty slick however I think I would prefer the dump bed for a spreader or cargo use.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Come on Rick, they'll pick up more than 1500#'s. ;) :nod: They're just rated for 1500.

Once they're stuck, they're stuck, no doubt.

The D series has been far from trouble free as well, but I did get one of the first ones. But I won't go without one either. You just can't beat carrying tools in the back, or materials, plus the bucket or forks up front.

Can't compare with a SS, as I've never plowed with one, but in a tight lot with obstacles it will outplow a truck all year long. And torque\HP\traction is not an issue, I thought it might be so I mounted a 810 SS on it. Never again, it will be the 8611SS model if\when I add another.

15. snowcan

snowcan Member

Yo Big Pusher, I traded in a 773 bobcat for a toolcat and never looked back, good road speed, way better visibility, easier to drive, two seater, throw a snowblower or salter in the back. Doesn't lift as high as the skid and not quite as much lift capacity but that didn't matter to me. Don't think I would go bigger than an 8 foot pusher, which is what is recommended by bobcat and use the lug tires for snow, not the turf tires...Cheers.

16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have had salopez toolcat for the last 2 months while working on his custom miniture hydraulic driven V box for it. I just finished it, works like a champ. Its the best damn tool I have ever borrowed. I sure as heck going to buy one come spring. Its easier to used than a skidsteer to load stuff in and out of the back of your truck. Its great to take the trash out to the end of the drive or go down to the main road to get the mail. etc. I know quite a few people who have bought them and will have nothing else.

17. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm just starting my third season with my b series. It has over 1200 hours. I have a 7.5' western blade, a 10' pusher box and a 6' blower for it. I'm running truck M/S tires and 800 lbs of weight. deep wet snow will slow down the 10' pusher but I just move the big piles a little bit at a time.
    It's pretty useful in the summer too. Wood spliter, forks, dump box, bucket etc. I use it every day around the yard.

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

18. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Dylan, I have looked at that pic a couple times before and never noticed it. Does that blower have a back drag edge on it? It looks like it was home made? Do you have any more pics of it up close?

Looking at it, it looks pretty simple. Both cylinders just retract pulling the one end up, and forcing the other end down. Anything complicated about it that I'm missing?

19. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

I added the backdrag to move snow away from garage doors. it works really well especially with all the weight of the blower on it. If i did it again I would only use one cylinder to make it easier and cut costs. It has been very reliable for the last few seasons. I've got some closeup pics somewhere. i'll dig them out for you.

20. Spudgunner

Spudgunner Member

There's some great feedback in here. I have a 5600T ("D") and, ironically, am considering the addition of a skid. Certainly if I were doing alot of residential work where clearances can get very tight, I'd probably opt for another TC due to the superior visibility. However, I do some fairly lengthy stretches of "mountain subdivision" road where, IMO, rear visibility is not as critical.

This year my TC has had some pretty serious reliability issues and the negative impact of this on my business has been exacerbated by the fact that my TC is my only serious snow removal equipment. It seems most folks are not in that situation so the reliability issue may not be as big of an deal for some since most folks have equipment redundancy.

Suffice it to say that I would UNDOUBTEDLY opt for an extended warranty if I were to purchase a new TC. The extended warranty has saved my bacon, financially, this year. I estimate that I would have had to dump $4K-$6K into my TC this year (this includes renting other equipment while the TC was spending time at the Bobcat dealer) for repairs.

So...in some ways my situation is unusual but that shouldn't have had an impact on the reliability of the machine. (For the first year it was excellent but it went into the toilet this year.) I am pretty easy on machinery and have spent ALOT of face-time with Bobcat techs discussing TC reliability. No offense to other TC owners, but I would really make an effort to purchase a new or used "D" given these discussions.

I still like my TC and I think the concept is ultra-cool...but the honeymoon was over after the first year with this critter. Given all this trouble, would I buy one again to handle the type of snow removal that I do? Yes, probably so. FWIW, the piece of machinery that came in second in my decision process when I ultimately purchased my TC was a New Holland L175 skid. Unfortunately (?) I had headroom issues with that unit. The newest version of NH "L" series seems to be improved in this regard, BTW.

Good luck!