1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toolcat 5600 Spreader options?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BostonBull, Dec 17, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

We have a toolcat 5600 that currently has the Curtis 550 on it. Great little spreader, but the motor sucks.

Should we replace the Briggs with a Honda or electric, or is there a better spreader out there? I also saw a Noreaster Electric spreader for around 4k. Any good?

We dont run salt/sand just Mr. Magic ice melt, and this spreader will see no other uses in its life.

Thanks guys!

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

there is a salt dogg for them now
    or a snowex
    or the bobcat spreader
    or meyers makes a nice little 4ft vbox

3. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

Of the ones listed which would be the top 2?

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

depends on how you want to run it.

i run mine full hydro.

if you go electric i would go salt dogg because it has an auger rather then a drag chain.

then the bobcat spreader (same as snowex).

5. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

how reliable is the electric? does it freeze up in ice and snow?

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

don't know I use hydro.

check the other threads for salt doggs.

7. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

You use hydro with a toolcat.....?

How about the honda engine for the curtis?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hydro as in hydraulic, much better the gas or electric.

9. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

Thanks for the clarification.......:rolleyes:

What I was asking is if he uses hydro sanders on a toolcat, or some other piece of machinery?

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yes I use hydro on the toolcat.

There is a hydro kit that uses the dump controls.

The vbox is an old meyers that was an engine powered hydro unit that they actually still make. The difference is the new ones use a drag chain and not an auger.

Curtis makes hydro motors for their spreaders too, which are suposed to be very nice.

This box and the headache rack were made/rebuild by itsgottobegreen. he did an awesome job on them.

tool kitty.jpg

tool kitty 2.jpg

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't roll your eyes at me, he said twice he used hydo and he meant a toolcat. : It's not rocket science how do you think your loader goes up and down and you toolcat goes forward and reverse and try reading his sig it says in it that his toocat has a hydro V Box.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  12. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

any chance you could give me the run down on how you did the hydro setup? maybe pm me or call me?

seems like the salt dog would be good for us as well, as all we run is Mr. Magic in our small spreader for sidewalks. I have heard mixed reviews of buyers products though.

the bobcat spreader is junk from my understanding, which means the snowex would be as well?

how are the noreaster units?

thanks again guys!

13. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

If the small salt dogg is anything like the fullsize you will be very very happy. I have 3 of them and they are great.

14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the hydros on the toolcat is a kit through the dealer.

that said you then need a vbox from meyers minus the motor, curtis or downeaster.

15. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

Is the Curtis 550 considered a vbox?

16. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

Which way does snow fall.? Looks like a v box to me lol

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is it shaped like a V.:rolleyes:

18. BostonBull

BostonBull Junior Member

Come on JD, I thought we went over eye rolling. You guys really know how to wlecome a newb to your industry.

Me asking if its a vbox, is almost as silly as salopez telling me I need one when I clearly stated above that i had one, right? isnt that the same line you used with me when I missed using his sig info?

19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We replaced the stock motor on our curtis 550 the other week with a brand new honda motor. The thing starts right up everytime and has been problem free. The original motors that come on them are junk. We have an electric downeaster the same size as the curtis, and that one is nice since you don't have to fill it with gas or do much maintenance on it.

20. salopez

salopez Senior Member

there is another meyers spreader like I have on ebay right now. it even has the second agitator that mine is missing!

going cheap.