1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tool kit, what do you carry.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mrwolf, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Obviously the standard parts, fluid, solenoid, hoses etc. but what tools and misc do you carry. I will start. Don't have my kit in front of me so I might forget something.
    Pliers, needle nose, 2 adjustable wrenches, medium size 1/4 and3/8 socket set that includes hex and box wrenches to 5/8 ($70 at Wally World), screwdrivers, hammer, pry bar, serpent belt, fuses, elec tape, zip ties, cotter pins, bailing wire, tow strap, jumper cables, tire plug kit, box knife, . I'm sure there is more. This all fits in a tool bag behind my seat except the socket set which is in its own case.

In my bag on the seat- ipad, iPod, phone, charger, blue tooth. Medical kit, flashlight, headlamp, multi tool, spare batteries, knife, glucose tabs, small survival kit, energy bars, sure there is more. I will edit if needed.

2. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Man, almost a week and nothin? Anybody want to chime in :):)
  3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I'm under prepaired....I carry a spare hydro hose, return spring, zip ties, wrenches, plow fluid, ATF, tow strap and clevis, and my cell. I need to add more to the truck.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

We carry a service truck :)
  5. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I carry one of those craftsman 200 or so piece tool kits. Plus some big channel locks, couple bigger wrenches specific to the plow. Of course stuff like fluids and what not.
    Our shop is not far if there is a major break down.
  6. rcnease

rcnease Member

Among the things you have already mentioned, I carry a floor jack as I am learning the hard way that a bottle jack normally won't work on the rear axle. I also carry, a large pipe wrench, a large adjustable wrench, a complete socket wrench set that has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive with SAE, and metric sockets, and I own two truck and each truck has a tool box that has the common type tools. I also carry a test light, and volt meter. I carry extra pump hoses, quick connectors, springs, I carry an extra lift pump. I carry the following fluids: ATF, Oil, Coolant, Hydro pump fluid, PB Blaster, Windshield washer fluid, Carb and Choke cleaner (used to help start spreaders if necessary), and heavy duty grease with grease gun. I then carry all the necessities to handle roughly 3 to 4 days without having to stop except for fuel. I also carry a battery jump box and and inverter.
    I do this because I plow as a county contractor and my route is roughly 1 1/2 hours from my house so I can't afford to be down for long and it would be very hard in the middle of a decent storm to get spare stuff to my location. So I carry just about one of everything you could think to need. I have to say I have learned about something new just about every time out. I use a super cab truck, and my next truck I want to go with a utility body to put all this stuff in to make it easier to get to when necessary, and I could also put a air compressor and small generator on the truck that way.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I carry a spare relay (power side), atf, zip ties, duct tape (good stuff), electrical tape, several ratchet straps and 1157 bulbs, spare cotter pins.
    tools: needle nose pliers, several sizes slip joint pliers (including a monster almost 24" long), 2 pair medium vice grips, pair small vice grips, pair lineman pliers (those live in my truck tool box year round as do the parts/tapes) small DVM (sears $10 around holidays one), medium adjustable wrench, 3/8 long handle ratchet, 3/8 short ratchet, set each metric and std deep 3/8 sockets, set combination wrenches in std and metric, battery post cleaner, crimper/wire stripper and small assorted terminals, 3/8 long handle allen key (brake caliper mounting), medium ball peen hammer, usually 2lb mini sledge (or drilling hammer), multi bit flip screwdriver, #2 phillips, medium slotted, small spool stainless "Mechanics wire", small roll multi use hanger strap (metal with pre punched holes), small assort bolts/nuts/washers, di-electric grease, PB Blaster, premixed coolant, gallon oil, diesel treatment, 4 foot 1 inch dia fence pipe (chain link top rail) cheater bar for 1/2 breaker bar with correct lug not size impact deep socket (stock ratchet wrench shattered when needed most 2am 5 below zero in blizzard with 12 inches down).

Currently also have full metric and std gear wrench sets and few other misc on front seat.

I do residentials all close to home, have help not too far away, and have a shop 5 miles from my house that is open 24hr during all snow events.

I've driven home from the route to change a flat tire, clean and reseal the lug on the bottom of the SEHP, change hose when hit by car in the plow , repair fuse-able link which killed "ignition" (mechanical diesel - zip tie fuel solenoid on and engine runs ignition or not), and even loosing transmission. If I can't fix it, or drive home to fix it it's serious and will likely be needing a tow truck. Replaced factory jack with a normal bottle jack and keep several short 2x4 cutoffs to block up the jack, and I have the Cummins factory "engine toolkit" under the seat all the time. (couple wrenchs, sockets, barring tool, feeler gages...engine specific sizes only)
    I have and can bring or have brought to me a generator, air compressor, mig welder, and plasma cutter if I really want to go nuts... like fixing a broken frame... but I'm more likely to call back up and AAA.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Not enough as far as wrenches etc go! I have some basics as far as wrenches, smaller sockets, adjustable etc. And for spare parts I carry fluids, solenoid, hoses, spring, pins etc.
  9. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Made me think of this: Bogert Manufacturing/Safe Jack. They have some handy extensions for bottle jacks, plus base plates to make them more stable.

I carry a couple of farm jacks ("Hi-Lift" type, but a different brand) in my truck, and I'm going to get a Bogert SJS48 Stabilizer base plate and an SJSL Secure Lifter for each one. The SJSL is so you can use a farm jack with a chain or sling.

A rolling tool box like you have is the only way to get around Murphy's Law. Stuff can still go wrong, but you're usually ready for it when "S*** Happens." Thumbs Up