1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tool cat skid or compact loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ponyboy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm looking to buy more equipment for snow mainly for using a pusher what would people suggest is best
    Skid steer I have 3 love them
    Compact wheel loader around 50-60 hp was quoted between 53-61,000. I can get 2 skids steer for that price
    Tool cat
    I have 5 accounts with in 1 mile trying to do with 1 truck and 1 machine I will run skid on road
    Loader would be great to pile snow but most of my place don't like paying to pile snow so I'm thinking slot of money not to use to full potential
    Tool cat I need feed back on
    Skids I know leaing toward skid but let's hear others pro and cons

2. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

it depends on how big the area you are doing. if your doing driveways go with the skid. if your doing large parking lots go with the loader as it would cover more area than a skid would.

3. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

Your saying you can get two toolcats for 53k, you must be talking used

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

No 2 new holland skids 2 speeds off snow lease with full new warranty for the cost of 1 compact wheel loader
    They would be used for small commercial lots and 2 schools
    I'm giving up driveways well at $750 plus $250 for walks I'm guessing my customers will find ome one cheaper too many where are you calls after 1 hour of snow stopping when my contract says I have 6 hours to plow them then I get the town plowed me n can u come and open my driveway up,then complain when they get a $30 charge from me
    So this year mainly commercial work

5. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

To keep in the back of your head I just priced out a brandy new Terex skid steer, First year they are making wheeled skids 33k for a 2650 pound lift and 30k for 2000lb lift capacity. Its about 10k cheaper then a bobcat and maybe 6 to 8k cheaper then new holland. I'm probably going to buy one.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I looked at terex compact loader it was $56k great machine if I go skid I will stay new holland, because f my relationship with them. But they were quoted me the loader so I guess they can get the skid also, thanks I will ask about them as well

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

even a compact loader will out perform the skid in open pushes. The tool cat's big advantage IMO is being able to take a person with you. That is damn helpful if you need a shoveler with you

8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I do not need the extra guys I have separate shoveling crews, I was thinking it might just be faster than a skid steer

9. miked9372

miked9372 Member
    from MN

tool cat would be better for sideways if you have to do them

10. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Ok sounds like no tool cat because it would befor lots

11. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

We have a compact loader and it works great! Skids are a little slower going from place to place. They both have their places though

12. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

You said primarily for snow,

are you going to use this piece of equipment during the off season as well?

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Not really but snow justifies the purchase

14. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Perhaps you could rent each

over this upcoming season and decide which one you like best and buy that for the following season.