1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tool Cat Owners Opinions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by SD-Dave, Feb 20, 2006.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hey guys

I am looking for opinions on the toolcat…all I have read has been very positive about the versatility.

I have a large loader/toolcarrier that I plow the big stuff with…the toolcat with plow or blower would be better than my midsize tractor for cleaning up in tight areas plowing sidewalks drive etc. That I have been using a mid-size farm tractor for 62PTO HP

The question is how is the toolcat for other summer activities? Can it replace my mid-size tractor for most other duties? Meaning how does it mow with the front mower attachment and how quickly etc. Could it mow 5-10 acres quickly...like my tractor which is slow but can use a wide deck.

With a rear PTO could a easily pull and power a rear pull-type rotary cutter of about 8'?

How well does it traverse wet terrain?

Does the suspension allow for faster mowing speeds?

How powerful is it for real aggressive work?

What tires do you recommend?

Give me all the scoop I am looking to make a move later this spring.

2. RipT

RipT Senior Member

You may get more response by posting your inquiry on LawnSite.com or the Toolcat forum on TractorByNet.com.

I am about to become a Toolcat owner, but mowing will not be one of its intended tasks. I think it would do fine for municipal park type mowing and even rough cut land clearing, but less than ideal for large pastures or fine lawns, not that it can not do those to some extent. One factor you bring up is soft or wet ground. The TC is pretty heavy at nearly 5000lbs but yet has fairly small tires compared to tractor turf tires. I could imagine ruts under these conditions.

In any event, check out the other sites for some good info.