1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tool boxes...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I could not find anywhere else on the board to post this so I will make it short and sweet. I know I have posted a lot of questions.... :p

Who has a tool box in their bed, who likes what brand, and where did you get it?

My new rig deserves the best so I want the best one, that is BIG, yet at the same time does not take lots of space. I do apartment maintenance so I am often picking up LOADS of stuff from Home depot yet I am tired of traveling around with tools sliding in my back bed.

Looking for a large box that has some room underneath ie hangs on the bedrails (so I can fix 10 or so 2x4"s in the bed without leaving the tail gate down)....

Anyone have a brand they love and will last forever? I need one that is aluminum, silver color, single door lid, double latch, and good guarantee. Must last forever, look good, and be ready to WORK.

Also anyone set up any "custom" installation so they can take it on or off etc?

Last were did you get it from? Do not want to pay any of the local shops price gouging prices!!!!!

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

we have been tossing around the idea of using these to store our calcium chloride in while the guys plow....i know its not what your looking for but the topic maid me think of it. one huge advantage to this is the bags wont get wet and hold moisture and wont clog up in the walk spreader.

http://www.llc-equipment.com/images/sidebox2.jpg

3. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

I have a weather guard saddle box in my pickup, my opinion is these are the best you pay for it but worth it. wide rubber weather stripping all around locks on both buttons to open, and they can take a beating. friend of mine bought a husky from home depot needles to say he has a shed hasp and a master lock bolted to it now plus it leaks like like no tomorrow

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

We run DELTA tool boxes. No problems with the leaks. I like the boxes that Five Star Lawn Care LLC posted. I bet it would be impossible for water to get in there, wonder how much support they have holding them up? I don't think it would be healthy for your bed side to support 600 lbs of salt + the weight of the box. I think the Weather Guard Boxes are probably the best on the market, just my opinion. That is what I will go with next time, always used Deltas because of the price difference. :waving: BOAST

5. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

I have a Crafstman Toolbox. It has been great plus it looks great. I have a red truck and the the craftsman eblem on the toolbox is red silver and black so it looks great with the truck. It is an extra deep box. Had it for two years and has held up fine. I didn't want to drill holes in my bed so I designed a way to mount it without drilling holes in the bed. I took small chain and a couple of s-hooks and drill a new hole in the tool box and hook the chain to the bed. My truck has a hook with the bed on the side near the bottom. Then I used a (not sure what you call it) but when you turn it, it tightens up both ends and pulls the chain tight to keep the box from sliding around. Easy to take off and no holes in the bed. Thats just what I did. Hope that helps

6. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I have a weather guard and it's solid! I like how you just push either lock and the lid opens up with no effort.

7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i have a delta not really wide enough. but if i may make a suggestion have whatever kind you get rhino lined or line x. rhino'd mine keeps out that aluminum dust that happans to them all from things sliding around in them. mine cost $50 worth it.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Weather Gaurd is the best IMO. Adrian is also pretty good.

9. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Well I have had a uws nothing but problem do not recommend. Now I have a weather guard saddle box. They are the best wish i would not have wasted the money on the uws. I have a 6.5 bed so I got the smaller box it works great spend the extra money it worth it.

10. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thank you for all of your opinions!!!!

I found a NEW weatherguard that is full size (aluminum model 117 15.5 cu ft) for $560 delivered to my house. So far I can not beat that price and from what I have seen and heard it is worth it.....

-jpeters, thanks that is a great idea and I am going to look into that!

11. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

The tool box that I have in my truck is a Dee Zee. I purchased mine here in Des Moines, IA brand new for $150. I bought it from a wholesale place here in town. The only thing that was wrong with it was that it had a few scratches on it ( the salesman had to point it out to me), and that was it. Dee Zee has a big plant here and if something gets a "blemish" in it they sell it to this company and Dee Zee writes it off some how. If you would like more info about it then let me know.
    Mowey

12. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have a Delta box, but weather quard is the best- but like the other guys said you will pay for it.

13. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Check out Home Depot. I have a husky box the sits pretty high off the bed but not too deep. I have plenty of clearance under it but it still holds all kinds of stuff. It was 180 or 190 new at home depot. Good luck :)

14. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

weather gaurd back racks and tool boxes :)

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have a Delta plastic tool box and don't recommend it. When the weather gets warm it sags in the center even with minimum loading. Piece of crap, but then again, so is my S15 that it sits in! lol

My farming friend has had a Weathergard polished diamond pattern box in his '88 Chevy for at least 8-10 years now. Still works flawlessly, although the road salt (from a total lack of washing) is making the clearcoat peel in places, much like aluminum wheels when they are neglected.

Definately recommend the Weathergard box...

16. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

husky

husky diamond plate, top of the line