1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Took out reverse twice within 350 miles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Makndust, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

At 2:30 this moring I'm out plowing, minding my own business. I push into a pile and put the pickup in reverse to backup and there is nothing. I drive a 1987 Chevy with a TH400 tranny. This issue wouldn't PO me so bad if I haddn't had reverse go out just 350 miles ago. Both times there was no warning (slipping, heating, pops or bangs), just no go. The last time they said that the band and drum was badly burned. This time I have been watching the tranny guage like a hawk. I went into the dealer today and explained that $1100 every 350 miles wasn't exactly profitable snow removal. He said that he would tear it appart tonight and have an answer for me in the morning. I hope he understands that I'm not gonna stand the brunt of this one myself. What really has me worried is that we are suppose to get 5 to 10 inches of the white stuff tomorrow night. I really need that pickup. I feel like if it wasn't for pressure I'd have nothing to do.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Even the best tranny guy bounces one once in a while. I would think they would cover it no questions asked

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

My old tranny guy wouldn't warranty a transfer case that didn't make it 100 miles. My new guy takes good care of me and will have my business for a long time. He rebuilt a TH400 last year for $395 but we pulled it and put it back in. That would have been another $250 from him, but he didn't have time as he was going on a cruise and had other jobs booked besides mine. He told me that the thing still looked good on the 1986 Chevy with 120k miles. The only reason a reverse would go out was if someone was slammin and jammin without coming to a complete stop. Could have been a mechanic's mistake on yours, just repeating what my guy told me. I forwarded this info to all my guys and let them know the next one was on them if it happened from abuse. Not saying you are abusing it, just something to keep in mind when throwing it in reverse. Also just to let you know what you might expect to hear from your dealer. Good luck, and I hope they take care of you.

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Got the pickup back the other day. The mechanic said that the reverse band was bad. He said that the oil was still red, and unburnt. He also said that a spring broke in the tranny and also the reverse drum was still fine. He said that there was absolutly no sign of abuse. His remark was that trannys are designed to back out of a garage and that is about it. I call BS!! I think that what is happening is that we built up the 454 under the hood. We put a 427 cam in it for low end torque. I think that the forward gears in the tranny are stout enough to handle it but the reverse isn't. We have a 960LB plow hanging on the front with about 800 LBS of counter weight setting behind the rear fenders. I think with the heavy pickup in combo with the torque that the engine is putting out reverse ain't cutting it. The problem is I hate to go to a different tranny because I have spent 2800.00 on the forward gears (Allison Torque converter, heavy duty cluchpacs, shift kit, etc.,etc). They have built reverse up as heavy as possible with aftermarket products. We'll see what they have to say when they send the bill. I decieded that I'd pay the parts but I think that they can eat the labor. I think that that is fair. I know that I don't lean into it at all anymore when backing up. I just kinda take my time.

5. schnitz

schnitz Member

100% agree on you calling BS on reverse being for backing out tof the garage. Find a different trans guy, or go to Hotrodders.com for a second opinion. Arm yourself with knowledge prior to going back to your present trans guy. I chewed the guys out at Autodoze for a bad water pump in my '97. Their "new" casting was junk. I went through 3 before I found a decent one.

Good luck, Chet.