1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Took a hard blow this morning

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ferdinand711, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 Senior Member

just thought of sharing this,
    I had a verbal agreement with a property manager last month to plow two commercial complex's, it's not that big of a place i guess. I quoted it $350.00 of up to 5" of snow per property which is the average for my area and $12.00/bag of 50lbs. salt applied.
    I called this morning to inform him that i'm stopping by to get the contract that i dropped couple of weeks ago but he said the owner told him to award the contract to another guy who letterally gave half of the price that i qouted.
    out of curiousity i ask him about this company but he don't think it's even a company, later gave me an address that leads to a culdesac somewhere. I think i've been ripped off by some guy who are plowing for beers. DANG IT!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Don't worry, they will call you when these guys don't show up..... Then you'll have the upper hand. payup

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i just lost one that ive had for 3 years at $100 per push to a guy that gave a price of $40/push. it takes about 1.25 -1.5 hours GOOD LUCK!!!!

4. ferdinand711

yeah, i hope so. I just feel bad because i just purchased another plow truck with brand new pro plow to be able to coupe with it.

5. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

some guys just dont know how bad they are ripping themselves off. They will just have to find out the hard way, at the end of the season when their pockets are empty.

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

been there....i lost one last year at a food joint...guy told me has to be plowed by 11 i show up at 10 only takes 15mins to plow i do it for 75 with salt real small lot i make 50 bucks when said and done anyways.....i show up at 10 and the lots done i go in ask him whats up he said some guy pulled in at 9 told him hed do it for 35 bucks cash...it took this mothafucka 5-6weeks to pay me with a check and hes handed this guy cash at the end of the day...i was pissed went off on him told him i would never be back and never wanted to biz with him again...and i also was spendin close to 100bucks a week there on food b.c me and my guys would stop in for lunch a lot....u win some and u lose some....but u lossin that one only means a better one will come along...good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

obviously the guy has no clue about business and once he never sees you in there he just might realize hes totally wrong. i hate people sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2007
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I really hope you weren't out buying new trucks / plows before you had the agreement signed.

I went out and bought another truck / new V plow, but after everything was signed.

Might have to chalk this one up to lesson learned.

9. danv

danv Junior Member

there is always someone cheaper and if there is not you need to raise your price. What I have seen from the management side is these guys get bounced when they need to produce the proper insurance. They all think the policy on the truck covers them. When you have a problem the insurance company says well how much do you get paid, answer x$ per trip. Answer back well you do not have a commercial policy so you are uninsured. I can tell you first hand, only difference is I ave the right policy and I pay big to have it. Relax, this guy will do it once or twice and not show, you need to keep a good repor with the manager and tell them "when he fails call me and I will still make room to help you out" it works every time , trust me

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Just tell him the price has a 10% increase ---> P.I.A. clause.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If its your only account then to bad.

But if you have more accounts you need to stop worring about the one you lost and worry more about the Poachers that are after those.

Peterbilt

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that's why it is good to always be overbooked, if you loose 3-4 a year no real big deal.... not really something new that people are beating prices by charging less Wal Mart has been doing it for years.

13. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Hey don't feel bad, it happened to me a month ago (10 apartment buildings). Was all set just like you and then got the cowardly email from the prop manager saying the owner took someone else.......2 days earlier it was all me. Don't know how low the other guy was but I went in at least average on it and added a small pita cost. I'm almost glad they backed out now.

Anyway, they try to cover by asking if I wanted to bid on lawncare...

Don't worry and take a ride by there after the second storm this year.....you'll see some guy with tears in his eyes a broken snowblower and a truck with no gas in it.... make sure you add 50% when they call you back....because you're worth it! wesport

14. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Kinda the same deal - a new guy calls me the other day offering his skid for use - I told him I really didn;t need a sub with just skid and bucket. Ok - then today I find out he is out after everyones lots cuz he needs the money to justify his new NH185 with snow money. His charge is a dollar a minute or $45 min. Good thing were all set for this winter - kinda late coming to the table but that is his loss.

15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, don't worry. Next year you can hit them with a price of $400 per push, and $15/per bag of salt applied. Good luck to you this year.

16. ferdinand711

Thanks Guys for all of your words of wisdom and encouragements. I will definitely add this on the lessons to learn. I think it's just like that those lessons always adds up day by day. I will try to learn from it though lol.

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

That's ridiculous
    I bill shovelers at $35, hell snowblowers bill at that rate. and they only cost $1000 bucks
    And a $35,000 tractor is worth $10/hour more?
    Wait til he finds out what maintenance is going to cost on that thing.
    and new tires, and new cutting edge, etc

Ridiculous.