1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Took 2 Fords off the road Wednesday.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by DieselSlug, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Here is whats left of Lauras Ford Escape that we were driving Wednesday night to Skaneateles to go trap shooting. I was driving, laura was passenger front and her mom was passenger rear. A 17 year old kid was crossing route 20 just before Navarino Orchards. Either he did not see or or wasnt paying attention. We t-boned him at around 50 mph. Everyone from bot parties are ok, very sore and bruised. Caved in the kids f150 badly on the passenger side. It was a very good thing he didnt have a passenger. We almost were going to take the Wrangler, very glad we didnt.

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Glad everyone is ok!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ford tough!
  4. BMB Plowing

BMB Plowing Senior Member

WOW, I know that intersection. I'm glad no one was hurt!
  5. amitdhir

amitdhir Junior Member
    from Ontario

Built Ford tough. Glad everyone is fine.
  6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

That's pretty minimal damage for an escape considering the speed, thought I'm sure the frame is bent enough that they will call it totaled unfortunately.

Glad your all OK.
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

them escapes rate a 10 out of 10 in my book! i dont own one, but 3 weeks ago a girl rearended a stopped car while doing 60 mph. she was fine aside from airbag burns and seatbelt bruises. they designed those things to crash!
  8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Glad to hear everyones OK !! So what are you going to replace it with ?
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Seeing as how it's unibody I'm sure it's totaled. I wouldn't want it back from a wreck like that even if they could fix it.
  10. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Glad every one is OK.

My wife in her 05 escape got axx jammed by a kid in a 1/2 ton GMC pickup. CLAIMS he fell asleep.
    BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet money he was texting.

Any way we drove the escape for several months until the Ford body shop had time to work it in. The GMC left on a hook and the cops OPINION was that it was totaled. I didn't see it but that was his opinion.
    The only humor in the situation was that the GMC fought a ford and the ford won.
  11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Good point lol, which is why I was even more disappointed with the new 2011+ Explorer! :D
  12. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Most cars today with damage like that are not going to be rebuilt.
    The only way they would, would be if it was nearly new with low miles.
    Looking at the head lights its an early model of the escape body style. 03, 04 I'm thinking.
  13. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Lights, Unpainted Bumper, Unpainted trim, ect. All major signs of being the 1st gen Escape.
  14. DieselSlug

Thanks for the word guys. All are doing better, still sore but can go back to daily routine (minus having to truck my girlfriend and I to each of our jobs). They wont pay for her rental car untill the insurance gets the police report.

The Escape was a 2001 with 177K miles on it. My mom bought it new, and gave it to me when the converters plugged up. We just put 1k into parts and many hours of my labor and we had the car on the road. She has been driving it for about 4 months. I will say that i have enjoyed this vehicle ever since my mom bought it. Ive had lots of happy meals in this sucker. I would reccomend an escape to anyone, they can be had for cheap! We got an average of 20 MPG's with it in the country.

We stopped at the company where the car is yesturday. Looked over it better. The front end is pushed to the engine, battery in the airbox and choked the rubber elbow (car died during accident, must be why). Brake fluid resevoir was broke off the cylinder, lost brakes at the end. Subframe is bent in the drivers wheel well. Damage along the whole drivers side. Drivers door is way out of alignment and wont come near to shutting. Your right, if this car was to get fixed (highly doubt it) i would NOT want it back. There has to be more mechanical issues not seen after this collision.

His insurance companys appraiser is going to check it out this am.
  15. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It goes without saying it could have been much worse. Glad to hear everyone is ok.
  16. DieselSlug

Laura really has always wanted a truck. I mean she doesnt need it, but whatever floats her boat. If she does get a truck we really need to get an extended cab. My truck is a regular cab, my jeep is a 2 seater most of the time, and i dont drive my Mustang much, so the Escape was perfect in that aspect. Id really like her to get a 95'-98 silverado (i know them front to back and have tons of spare parts), but id be happy with a F150, 97' or newer. But its all what she wants to get it her car.

We cant afford payments right now with school loans, so its gonna be with whatever we get from the Escape.
  17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear everyone is okay
  18. DieselSlug

Erie insurance came to look at it yesturday. Quoted over 8k worth of damages. Frame bent, firewall bowed. Total Loss
    And still without a rental..
  19. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

Glad everyone is ok!!!!!
  20. DieselSlug

Well found some more wonderful news last night. Last tuesday when we got in the accident we were on our way to a trap shoot in Skaneateles. We had 3 trap guns in the back while the accident happened. Went to the club shootoff tonight opened the case to the Browning Citori i am using and its was damaged! The stock was cracked, and the lever to actuate the break barrel is all messed up! The other two guns dont seem to have any damage after inspection and were shot without fowl last night. I had to borrow a gun. I hope the company pays to fix/replace this gun as its almost a 1k dollar gun!.