1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too much salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Scottscape, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Ive got a customer this is there 2nd year, pretty loyal customer, pays on time. Last year they complained that there werent enough salt applied. I applied it thicker this year. Well I get a call earlier today complaining that there is too much salt and its "killing the grass" and the pavement is "still white". fine i told them that I would come by with a blower and blow what I could off the pavement. Im thinking of dropping this customer because Ive got a feeling there going to be a pita from here on out.
  2. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

LOL sounds like a familiar tune from a customer.....
  3. starc

starc Senior Member

Had the same problem a few years ago, had to go out and sweep up some driveways in a condo complex. Took it a little easier with the salt the next few times, got a call and was asked to go back to the way I was doing it before. Love these property managers that have never actually taken care of any properties before. All they know in reality is what they do in the office. Now if anything comes up I tell them, don't see me telling you how to sharpen your pencils...so I wish you would stop telling me how to do my job...
  4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

charge them more for liquid deicing
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Why drop them?

The most important thing is they pay on time and have been loyal. Why lose such a hard to find customer over something silly.

Its just a matter of finding out what is too much/little in their eyes. What it really is going to take though is some education on your part. Sit down with the person in charge of maintenance and explain exactly how deicing works. IE, How Moisture content, Temperature and the percent of Mag/Cal/Salt or what ever your using will determine How much is needed and how long it will take, then if the predicted amounts don't occur how you could end up with over applied amounts. Which is better than a lawsuit because you under applied. BUT you will be happy to have a sweeper service come in and clean-up the rest.

By the time your done the customer will be overwhelmed with info, and you will still have the account.

I would consult them to switching over to anti-icing as a primary tool.
  6. starc

starc Senior Member

If your referring to my post...I've never, in all the years working, lost a contract. I will however stand my ground and will not be told how to do my job by someone that has never do the job themselves. Just the way I am and perhaps the reason I still do have my contracts. I know what needs to be done and don't have to be directed when, where, how to do my job. I have had an entire year or two go by without one call from the property manager to discuss any issues.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

No I wasn't referring to your post, but looks like I hit a nerve...

I you re-read my post I was explaining that dropping the customer because they can't make up their mind is silly-they pay their bill and have been loyal.

I was saying that in this instance education is the key to good communication.

I have lost an account before because of no communication, I thought everything was good- hell the parking lot was black all winter long, but when the bill came in spring they had a fit and did not renue the next winter. so now even in the light winters I send out letters every month or stop by and chat just to make sure that doesn't happen again.