1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too Much Salt...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Big Todd, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

We have an old Buyers spreader that we picked up real cheap last season. I did a little work on it and put it to good use.

Well this season we have a lot more salting business and I am noticing a nagging problem that isn't that big a deal, but it makes my salt guy less productive. It seems that the outside diameter of the auger is considerably smaller than the inside diameter of the housing at the bottom of the hopper. Are you with me so far...? The granules of the salt that we are buying this season are smaller than the gap left between the auger and the housing, so any salt left in the hopper falls out on its own as you drive from site to site. We've found a happy medium with the controller setting so that the salt spreads decent instead of all falling within a two foot wide swath. But I'd like to be able to load the thing up and go instead of dumping only the salt we need at each site.

Anyone else had any issues like this, and what did you do?

My thought was to find a piece of PVC pipe with an I.D. the same as the O.D. of the auger and insert it in the housing etc.

Whaddya think?
  2. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I havn't run mine yet, but I've been noticing the same problem when I was assembling it.

I don't see why the PVC wouldn't work. The only thing I questions is that buyers must have designed it that way. I want to know what their reasoning is first.. may help the motor on start up
  3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We modified an "RV Dump Valve" to fit around the auger at the spreader throat and "shut off" the flow when you close the valve. You just open the valve when you are ready to salt and then close it when you leave the site and are done salting. Snow Ex (tryn Ex) makes something similar called a "Gate Assembly". The PVC pipe idea usually clogs up and the spreader jams up, that is why the manufacturers don't make the throat very close to the auger. The valve is 100% better! :drinkup:
  4. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I am having the same problem with a Meyer tailgate spreader I bought. Will try the rv dump valve. Anybody have any good ideas for hauling bulk salt around in the back of the box without just dumping it in the box? Everything I tried usually breaks or is a real pain to use.
  5. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

Plowman; Do you have a pic of that Dump Valve set up?

Merry Christmas Everybody:drinkup:
  6. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Badranman- try using rubber made bins. I noticed one of my plow drivers was opening the bags and dumping them in a bin before the storm, in the warm shop. He said he would rather shovel the salt in the spreader because it was quicker and easier.
    So we now use bulk salt in that spreader.

Buy a bin made of a sort rubber not plastic that will crack, and tie it down with a ratchet strap. If you use smaller bins 2 guys can lift them in and out of the trucks when they are done for the day, if needed.

One of my trucks has a western stainless tailgate spreader. I made an electronic gate opener/closer with a $22.00 door lock motor. I leave the spinner on, and control flow with the gate. It works well, but I like my new snow vee pro 800 better.