1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

too much plow for my truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by skippy867, Aug 30, 2009.

1. skippy867

skippy867 Member

i am looking at buying a used western mvp 9.6 steel plow from a guy here on this website, i went to look up the weight and seen it weighs over 1000# . would this plow be to heavy for my truck? my truck is a '03 chevy 2500hd with a duramax creww cab short box

2. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

Technically that plow is too heavy, according to the manufacturer. But they say any plow over 7.5' wide is too heavy. I run a 8.5' fisher xtreme v SS on my 03' gmc 2500 hd diesel and have had no problems. But that plow only weighs 875 lbs. So that extra 125 lbs maybe overkill. But if you do get i would definitely get some sort timbren or load booster in the front of the truck.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

It might be a little heavy but I would think its ok, unless it will cause any issues with your warranty, if you have one that is. Get a set of timbrens and turn up your torsion bars.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

timbrens, crank t-bars all the way, & good ballast.....you will be just fine. I've seen plenty wideouts & blizzard 810's on 3/4 tons and ther doing just fine.

5. skippy867

skippy867 Member

i dont have a warrenty but was going to put some timberns on anyhow for the snowdog plow i was also looking at.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

timbrens, crank T bars (not all the way though, you will do more harm than good. You still need suspension travel) and a good alignment. Also run about 500+ lbs ballast against the tailgate and you will be golden. Just dont beat the snot out of it

7. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of budget do have for this plow? I ask because I have a brand new fisher stainless steel 8.5' plow i'm selling with a two year warranty for $4700 if your interested.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

t-bar cranking is a touchy subject, like sydenstricker said, you don't want to go too far. To avoid this you can buy new torsion bar keys that are designed to lift the truck with out over cranking the bars, or you can possibly upgrade the bars themselves. Another option is to buy these http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page36.html

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can lift the truck to the desired height without new keys, then buying keys is a waste of money. Keys do not change the load on the t-bars, do not improve the ride at a specific height, nor improve the life of your ball joints. All they do is allow you to lift the truck higher.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

maybe the tbar cranking all the way is a touchy subject, not every situation calls for it.....but the guys that said not to do it, are they running 1000lb + plows on the front of their IFS chevy's? I can say that I am speaking from personal experience. I cranked them all the way ,put timbrens on, run a Wideout, & try to keep 2000lbs of ballast......this is on my 07 3500 dump w/10ft bed. I rarely use 4wd when plowing. This truck is pretty much under a load all the time year round, whether its for my concrete bus or snow bus.......it sits better & rides better after I did this......I will admit it is a little stiff when not under ANY load, but that is rare & for short periods of time. The tbars can easily be turned back down after winter for someone like himself. Not every truck is effected the same way by cranking them, this i have personal experience with 2.... On another truck we used to run, having them cranked 3/4 of the way was all you could do before it started having an adverse affect. Its an easy thing to play with, it dosent cost you a dime and it dosent take but a few minutes to adjust. But to say that you CANT crank them all the way is BS.

11. skippy867

skippy867 Member

hey snow miser, i was looking at a snowdogg 8.6 from a local dealer for about 4200 not installed, really dont wanna go over then that

12. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

hey that's an awesome deal for a stainless plow, i'd say go with it.