1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too much oil in crankcase?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Jan 29, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have a 91 GMC 5.7. It takes 5 qts of oil. I normally buy 5 individual quarts, but it is more convenient to buy the 5qt jug. After the last oil chang I notice I am HIGH on oil; looked at the jug and noticed it is 5qts+. The oil is past the full mark on dipstick. Shld I take some out? The oil has always been on the full mark and never had this happen before.

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

the little bit its over wont hurt it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you change the filter too? And have you run it to fill the filter?

4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

YEP,,,what is an oil chg without a new filter. I always run the engine after oil chngs to lookk for leaks. I plowed and salted the other night so it ran for 3 hrs.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it....

6. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

OK thanks. Just never had this happen bfore

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ya those frigin morons need to do a 5 qt and 6 qt jug. not this stupid 5.28 qt that 95% of use dont even require.

heck add a 7qt jug for the ford guys and i think some hemi dodges.

i think enginers should be 2-3 years in the feild before making up this stupid stuff. :p

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Morons is an understatement, whats even worse is when the engineers removed the zinc content without making it public or readily advertised on the label.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That one caught many off guard who are still running and building flat tappet camshaft equipped engines. Thankfully I was onto it pretty quick and saved guys with fresh engines many headaches. Couldn't save them all though. Couple guys lost some fresh rebuilds before word got around.

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Hey B&B how the heck are ya?
    I only found out about the zinc last year while talking to my engine builder. One of the major camshaft manufactures did not even know about about it. Needless to say the 14 quarts X 2 for the boat adds up plus the other vehicles in the fleet. Rotella does have some zinc but not as much as it did. Normally I purchase larger qtys of zinc from summit.

11. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Your high on OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont let the Narc squad find out.:laughing:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keeping plenty busy myself Stan. :drinkup:

Many of the various brand oils labeled as "racing" oil's still contain the same amount of ZDDP that was previously used in all oils too. As do some of the oil additives that can be found at most parts stores. Lucas for example is one.