1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too much money or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ramair2k, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I went to the local dodge dealer in my area, and saw that they had a fresh trade in. Its a 2002 F350 5.4L V8. Its a crew cab, and it also has a tool box in the bed. Truck has 29k miles on it and also has a plow. They said 28k without the plow, and 31k with it. 31k seems like a lot of money for a 2002, when you can probably get an 04-05 for a bit more money. What do you think?

Oh ya, supposingly the guy traded it in for a new ram 2500HD

2. durchins

durchins Member

I just ordered a 05 F250 V10 with every option including the Harley Davidson package for 38 and change. So yes 28 seems high on a 02 F350. You can probably find a leftover 04 on a dealer lot for a coupld buck more than they want for the 02

3. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

paid 32k for 04 f350 diesil. so yea i would say several k to much.

4. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Sounds high to me too. Also seems a little under powered in my opinion.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

RAM........Sounds a little spendy to me. Esp. now with rebates and 0% interest.
    $3000 extra for the plow? They are nutz ! A new fisher V or X-blade is $4000 installed. (price is from the fall at the Roch. NY RCS bbq. so they may have increased)

I know the 250/350 ford , gms, hold their value quite well used. But a few bucks MORE and you can drive a NEW rig.

Another CAUTION.........There is/was a fellow plowhead posting elsewhere he bought a used 3500 dump with plow and was having nothing but problems with it.

Seems the NY lemon laws won't cover it because its used as a commercial vehicle and its past its 30 day dealer warranty...... :cry:

A good place to post for a real trade value/retail price is http://www.edmunds.com Go to the Forums, then to the Smart Shopper thread and post the vehicle in the "real world trade values" thread.

A guy named Terry gives out the info. and he is always on the money to the $$ on what the vehicle is worth ! Forget NADA and those other auto value books the dealer tries to flim flam you with !
    Like that guy Terry says "people buy cars.....BOOKS DON'T!).....geo :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ram, it's time to play hardball with these dealers.

This is traditionally a SLOW time for auto/truck sales. It's a buyer's market and you are the one in control here, not them. These jokers will tell you anything to make a deal where they are making out if you don't let them know you're not there to be made into a sucker.

Just cut to the chase. Never mind the salesman. Go right into the business manager and tell him you want to see the paperwork on the truck showing where they got it and how much they paid. Chances are they got it on a trade where they lowballed the previous owner and made a few grand already just on that! He'll tell you he can't do that and give you a bullsh!t story. That's when you say fine, my money's worth more at (give name of nearest competing dealership) where they will do that for me, and walk OUT. They'll probably follow you out to your truck talking sh!t about the deal trying to get you to fold. DON'T! If they do let you leave before agreeing to your terms, your cell phone will probably ring before you get back home.

Bottom line, don't let them make more than $500 bucks profit on the deal. At this time of year, and with a vehicle that's not in heavy demand, it can be done and they'll do it if you push far enough. And, for that kind of dough, it's like some of the other's said, you may get into something newer for the same money. They are trying to screw you, don't let it happen! :nono:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a lot of money, but just remember,.....it's still January!

We still have a good solid 2 months of snow yet. Someone breaks a truck and is in a bind will pick that truck up for top dollar. I've seen guys do it. So, yeah....this truck IS in high demand. And the dealer it taking his chances that someone will come in NEEDING a ready to run plow truck, and buy it.

You'd be better buying new for those prices though.

Do you need a Crew Cab?

8. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

defintely need a crew cab. I am getting married next year, and need something where we can put stuff in the back. Plus I cant deal with just a bench seat.....i need more room than that.