1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too Much Light?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Question. I was running around tonite before
    getting home and I thought I would make sure that the plow lights still work. They did. and I compared them with my regular lights, and they seem dull. Well, not dull, just kinda thin, if that makes any sense. I was thinking if I could have both the high and the low beam on at the same time, that would rule. But I would imagine people getting mad because of all the light, and also, do you think that would be to much load on that circuit? Just something I was pondering.

It's SNOWtime (please)

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

thats just the way plow lights are.

Geoff

3. cthom

cthom Junior Member
    from MO

I kind of thought the same thing about plow lights. Are they low key to save on power?:confused:

4. Grant

Grant Member

Seems as though I have hated all plowlights since they went "square". Just too narrow a beam horizontally to work right when mounted up that high. I have been swapping them all for good old round sealed beam lights mounted to clear the plow when raised about half way up. Difference is night and day. Then I sell the modern hi-tek halogen square plastic things on ebay.

5. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I had a 1989 f250. When the plow was put on the fool wired the plow lights directly to the headlights... (both sets on at the same time) I was told that it was not worth the time to fix. After a period of time with high beams on the lights would go off for 30 seconds or so and then back on (some sort of breaker), that just wouldn't do. In the winter I unplugged the bulbs on the truck and in the summer I unplugged the plow lights a pain but it worked. I would not try to run high and low beam together.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Part of the problem is 1) they are located up very high so instead of bathing the road in light they shine down like spotlights, and 2) they are impossible to aim for ideal pattern. Blade up they shine one way, blade down they point to the sky, all bets are off if the V-box is full or empty, etc.

7. DEISL

DEISL Member

strobes anyone?

on private property, we can use strobes ,yes work harder,it shows,$ wise.

8. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Well, I have had a suggestion to make it available for all my lights to work at the same time. That way I can turn them on while plowing, and then off (or low beam only) to drive down the road. That might work. Also the suggestion for the sealed round beams. That might be nice. Now, it I could only get this snow to stick.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Lawnguy is right. It is the mounting. The bulbs on the smaller lights are the same power and the same size as those used in 80's Camoros. The bigger light are traditional sealed beams. The new Meyer and Boss lights use different technology and claim a better pattern but I have not seen tremendous evidence of this.

It is because they are mounted up high and aiming down that makes the pattern difficult. I try to aim mine with the plow up. This makes for a good pattern when driving. When the plow is down they are a bit high but then I can just stay with the low beams.

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

A cautionary tale--I installed mine that way. Rather than a selector switch for plow lights/truck headlights. I figured that way if I ever need a whole lot of light it would be available. Just run the truck's parking lights and turn on the plow lights with their own switch when the plow was installed.

One night I was driving home on the parkway, at a legal speed, when a state cop pulled alongside, then a little ahead, then he dropped back behind me and put some of his lights on--those red and blue ones.

He kindly explained--after checking license, registration, and insurance cards--that he'd noticed that the front of my truck looked awfully bright as I'd passed him alongside the road. He then explained that it was not legal to be using all those headlights at once.

I'd just made the simple error of pulling the truck headlight switch all the way on instead of stopping at parking lights only. I said, "Aw Geez", reached down and turned them off, and explained that they were wired seperately, and said I was sorry. He was good about it--just asked if they had high and low beams (they do--I demonstrated), and told me to have a nice night.

I'm more careful now about that, and I've still never really *needed* all that light...