1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too much for the truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsgf, Dec 23, 2010.

Too much for the truck?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

18 vote(s)
  1. nsgf

nsgf Junior Member

Hey guys,

I had a real quick question and I was hoping you guys could help out.

I'm looking to buy a used F250, 1999-2003 7.3 PSD SC or CC.

One of the main reasons I'm getting the truck is to plow in the winter.

Not any huge lots, mainly residential and some small commercial lots.

I've found a great deal on a 7.3 PSD Supercab-long bed that already has an 8'6" Western on it. BUT, it only has a 4400 Front axle weight rating.

So, do you think this is pushing it?

Western's site says the max they'll install is a 7'6" so I don't know.

The guy says he's rarely used it to plow, it was a backup truck for his snow business.

Is this straining the truck too much or you think it's ok?

2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

you'll be fine.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search and you will find 1.8 million different posts about this. Also, what do you typically on those trucks? Probably not a 7'6" plow...right? Think about it
  4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You will be over the FGAWR regardless of what you put on there. Different manufacturers say different things, but I believe Western only recommends a 7' 6" for a 99-04 diesel. If you are going to run the truck, at minimum, put on a set of X code 6k lb. rated front snow plow prep springs. You also might need to upgrade the alternator output and throw in a revised fan clutch if you find yourself overheating a lot.

Keep in mind, a diesel engine weights much more than a gas engine. Diesels do not put out as much voltage at lower RPMs than gas engines do while they simultaneously require more voltage for starting.
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What year and model is the truck?
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Never mind. I see the body style. Just get some "X" code springs for the truck. That is what came with the plow package. They are a 6000 lbs spring and the FGAWR of the plow prep trucks was 5200 lbs.