1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too much electronics??

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Zach, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I plan on plowing this winter so I already have an electric winch for the plow but I am thinking of getting heated handgrips... will having the handgrips + the winch run down my batterie too quickly?? (I have a 2000 honda recon, 130 watt AC generator... I think)

2. mudman

mudman Junior Member

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't think it will be a problem. I've got heated grips on my Foreman and had to winch out of some pretty hairy situations when riding with the lights on and grips on full heat and never had an issue.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Lets see you do a dule batterie install on this rig :d

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

130watt AC generator? well last i checked, im no expert on ATVs, but dont they use DC systems? 12 volts?

even if they did and the power was converted with little loss, 130/12 = 10.83 amps? that doesnt make any sence

5. JCGERB

JCGERB Junior Member

I run heated grips and thumb, 2,500 lb winch that cycles about every 25 seconds and have no problems draining the battery. When the winch is run the lights do dim somewhat but it never kills the battery. Good luck.

6. Beachernaut

Beachernaut Member

I run the winch, lights, heated handgrips, and a small 12v heater on my ATV and don't have a problem. You shoudn't have a problem as long as the engine is running.

7. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Okay, thanks. it is a 12v system.... the only thing I could find on the alternator said 130 watt AC

8. Zach

Zach Senior Member

And I would LOVE to run dual batteries but unless I can find a stronger aftermarket alternator???

9. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

even if you dont get a stronger alternator the 2 batteries will still give you more run time before they go dead. i had alot of problems with my recon last year plowing. i had a winch and 55watt lights and if you used the winch alot the battery would go dead fast!!. And yes automotive systems are dc not ac current and i am pretty sure the recons alternator puts out more than 130 watts but you may be right.

10. Zach

Zach Senior Member

If i plow in the daytime (so I dont use lights) do you think I could be fine?

11. hondarecon4435

you deffinately wont have as much truble but if you have tight driveways where you are using the winch alot you could still run into problems i would do dual batteries and then you will be sure to have no problems

12. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I just dont think the alternator is strong enough for dual batteries...

but if I did, how difficalt would wiring be? would I just link tham?(wouldnt that make it 24v?) how would I wire it?

13. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Don't sweat it it will charge both battries.:):):):)

14. pby98

pby98 Member

look at he other forum arctic cat help or somthing it is about the same problem almost and there is info there how to do a dual battery rig right

15. hondarecon4435

you have to hook the batteries in parrallel positive to positive negative to negative then it is still 12v and your alternator may not charge the batteries fast but 2 batties charged will last much longer than one

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

No, it wont run down your battery. I have heated hand gribs on my Arctic Cat 500 and it doesn't run down the batery while I'm plowing with it.

17. hondarecon4435

thats great it works on your arctic cat but that in no way relates to the recon a 500cc atv has a much higher output alternator and typically a larger battery than a 250cc

18. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I think Im just gonna use a bigger battery... like from my lawn tractor

19. sport-trac

sport-trac Junior Member

I was told by many people including my dealer that you have to hook up in Series.. much like a battery backup system (solar / wind power)...

Series:

use positive from battery 1
    use negative from battery 2

tie remaining positive and negative together...

doing parralell from what they told me, will indeed kick it up to 24v.. not good :(

Not sure.. just food for thought.

JM

20. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

BS Flag! Two batteries in Series makes 24v
    Two batteries in Parrallel stays at 12v

Very simple if using 2 batteries either use an isolator or combiner and wire in parrallel.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008