1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

too much battery strain?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by hondapro4004x4, Aug 24, 2009.

1. hondapro4004x4

hondapro4004x4 Junior Member
    from Vermont

i was thinking about putting the strobe lights that you install inside the head/tail lights. plus i was going to be adding some extra headlights that mount to the rack. plus i use a winch to lift my 50'' inch blade. do you think that this would put too much strain on my ATV's battery? what can i do to avoid a dead battery?

____________________________________________________________________________
    2006 Honda Rancher 400 AT- 50'' Moose Blade w/ v-bar chains on all 4 tires

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/30/l_aeb975e570cf457eae1bbaea7603f667.jpg

2. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

i have a 3000lb winch, led reverse/worklights, hand/thub warmers, 12 led lights. iv had issues with my wheeler not keeping up with the draw at night. so i end up shutting off pretty much eveything when it gets to the point where my speedo flashes and the battery apears. think the polaris 500s have about a 6-10amp output. the winch will draw the most. if your doing short runs while plowing you might have issues with the charging system not keeping up. but if your doing longer runs least the battery has somewhat of a chance to keep up with the draw. id sugest getting a battery tender. so when not in use plug it in so it keeps the battery fully charged. i cant as mine sits in a storage shed.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I run a winch, headlights, handwarmers, orange rotater, and now I will also be running a radio also.

4. hondapro4004x4

hondapro4004x4 Junior Member
    from Vermont

uuummm okay thanks for the replys.....do you think that my wheeler would keep charged if i only added LED flashers and only used my headlights along with the LEDS?

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

wire a trickle charger up to it. and when your not running it just plug it in.

6. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

7. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

that solar panel is only putting out about 200 millamps. or 1/4 amp. i just got a 130watt solar pannel it puts out about 7amps in full sun.