1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too many questions and I posted my other thread in the wrong spot.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Jeepm@n, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Ok I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee. I bought a used classic mount TM series plow with pump and mounting hardware but no control. I paid $300 for it. I have the mount, lights, and pump bolted on my Jeep but have been looking at how to wire it up.

When I looked at the motor I realized someone has sheared the positive stud off the motor. So I started to remove the long bolts holding the motor to the pump and one had been broke off previously.I also found lots of metal shavings on top of the pump housing area. I sprayed the broken bolt with PB blaster and hoping I can grab it with vice grips.

I'd like to know which control I need. Or can I get a double pole momentary switch and a double pole momentary one way and constant the other way. Kind of like the old Boss switches and make my own control?

I had some rust on the cylinders but have been using steel wool and oil to clean the shafts and they are coming out nice. Hoping I do not need to replace those.

What pump do I have? I have two hoses attached to the manifold area. I think it's an E-47.

Where is the best place to get parts?

I found a pump motor on E-bay for $37 are they ok?

Updates*** I did get the broken stud out and checked the filters on the pump and they are clean. I can also spin the pump drive by hand so it's not froze up. I did also notice that I have one coupler and one hose attached at the manifold area.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Ok I was looking at where the motor mounted on the pump. I noticed there had been a gasket there. I also noticed what looks like a drain hole. Is there really a drain hole there or is that supposed to be sealed? Can I use RTV on mounting the motor to the pump?

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If it has a single stud motor clean the mounting point up and leave the drain hole open. Two post motor clean it up, use the gasket if you want and leave the hole open.

5. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

It was a single stud motor. Can I upgrade it by using a double stud motor? The double stud motor has a positive and ground stud then right? I need to replace my motor anyways. I get to leave the hole open no matter which motor I have. Thanks

6. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

What is the cheaper more reliable pump motor source for the e 47 motor?

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The 2 stud for sure, leaving the hole open lets any moisture escape.

8. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Where does one acquire the two stud motor at a decent price?

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

$130 seems to be around the going rate for them

10. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Wow ! I went into sticker shock. For a Meyer two stud motor they want $190 +shipping at my local Napa. For an aftermarket single stud they want $165+ shipping.

Happen to have a place to buy the two stud for $130?

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

12. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

I called them and that is for the one stud. Anyone know of a good supplier to get one of these? Money is beyond tight right now and I need a motor and a place to get the meyer oil and flush for my plow, along with the connectors for the hoses.

13. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You may be able to take it to an electrical shop and get yours rebuilt. A ground stud can be added essentially it's just a bolt in the motor case.

oil doesn't have to be Meyer branded either any proper low temp fluid will work.

14. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I wouldn't spend one second on that E47 motor, they can be had cheap enough and they seem to last quite a while with a little care. As far as wiring, I would run new wires for my lights and install a double pole double throw switch for high/low (don't forget the relays and an on/off switch)
    Same for the pump controls, get yourself two switches as you said, just make sure you have center off. Momentary for up and on for down (just don't forget to shut it off or it will kill your battery) I have the old Meyers switch panel and there is a small red light that comes on in the down position so you don't forget it. I did once and had a dead battery in the morning!
    Good luck.:mechanic:

15. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Ended up with a meyer brand new motor oem with single stud for $90. Parts guy even made me a heavy cable to go from the ground stud on the pump assembly to one of the mounting bolts on the motor. He is even giving me a 1 year warranty. Saweet. He is now a Boss dealer and was clearing out his meyer stock. Thanks festerw.

I think though after having one of the motor bolts break off in the aluminum housing I will be using anti-seize on the threads. I also have a grease gun full of dielectric grease for all my connections.