1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too many miles?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lumps, Aug 11, 2008.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I'm looking at an '03 2500, but it's got 80k miles on it. It's a decent price, but should I be worried about doing commercial plowing with that kind of mileage? It seems pretty tight overall, no play in the front end, etc. and never been plowed.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

expect the trans to go at 100k, but you should be fine .

i have 218k on one of mine
  3. banksl&s

banksl&s Member

I've got an '03 2500 with the Hemi and 87xxx miles. It needs ball joints but still runs good. I don't plow with it though just pull a trailer.
  4. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I think this is a bogus statement! What info do you base this on? If the guy is looking at a Cummins equipped 6 speed manual or a Hemi/545RFE combo, I highly doubt even with poor maintenance he'll be replacing the tranny at 100k. :dizzy:

I have an 03 2500 with Hemi and 545RFE 5 speed auto but only have 76k miles so far. With proper maintenance this tranny will go well over 120k. I base this on the fact I know several folks with the same truck with over 120k miles and they tow almost every day. My brother drove one to 140k+ for his roofing company and he towed a 12,000# 5th wheel trailer almost every day. The tranny did die at that point so they got him a new 07 Hemi/545RFE 2500.

lumps...what is the engine/tranny combo you are looking at?
  5. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i had a friend with a 1995 had 298 before the first tranny went out then he went to a 5 speed

mine went out on my 1995 at 115,000 only cause i ran it out of fluid on the high way stupid lines where they go in the tranny the clip came out and it dumped it all out before i never felt it slipping

my other 1995 i just got has 180,000 same tranny but it acts weak

its all on how you take care of them
  6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

This truck seems like it's been well cared for, so I'm hoping that includes being nice to the tranny. I ended up buying it, have to get pics up. And it's got the Hemi, not sure which tranny.
  7. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

With the Hemi engine and an auto tranny it'll be the 545RFE.
  8. cowboytim

cowboytim Junior Member
    from midwest

go for the truck. proper maintenance tranny should get you to th 150,000. I have one that went to 190,000, another to 225,00 my buddies went out at 140,00 and another one of mine is at265,00 still going strong. These are daily work trucks plowing pulling bobcats etc
  9. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I had a ' 99 w/ a cummins & auto tranny. It started slipping @ about 100K miles BUT that was my fault, I shouldn't have chipped it up & tries pulling that 31 ft fifth wheel camper so hard!
    My current ' 04 also has a cummins h/o w/ auto and I didn't change fluid last Fall so guess what, this past winter the valve body went to he11!
    My advice. Don't put more power to 'em than they're designed to handle, change the fluid EVERY year (religiously) and you'll be good well past 100K.
    My current truck was @ 84K miles when it had the issues.
    It pulls a 16 ft enclosed L/C trailer when working, it pulls 31ft 5th wheel camper when on vacation and it pushes a 8.5 ft western V balde w/ #3000 of salt all winter. MY truck WORKS for a living!!!!
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

im sure the gen 3 's are built a little better....

but says the 5 transmissions, in 6 trucks so fare... earlest went at 90k, i got 140 out of the longest , one truck on its 2nd tranny right now has 218 and i think its on its way to a 3rd trans.

all im saying is i PLAN for a replacement and start to keep the cash on hand at 100 for when it does go out this way im not surpised

and my trucks normally pull a 24 encloused, or 20 foot flat bed trailers, 8.5 westerns plus full v-boxes, so mine work for a living too
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  11. stillen

stillen Senior Member

all you guys talkng about trannys going at 100k, 150k, 170, have me worried..... My GMC's i've owned all went well over 250k on the original tranny, in fact one rusted out before it could go, saae motor, same tranny in all three..
  12. elite1msmith

from chicago

the Gms have been known to have better trannys

but i wouldnt trade the cummis, for any duramax, or stoker. and i wasnt thrilled about the front suspention on the Gms, had one before, lots of sensor and electrical problems, fuel pumps,

but thats just my experiance, i guess i just like the dodges because i know what to look for and how to repair it... ball joints and steering around 70k, trans around 100 k, turbo on the cummis 150 k , thats about it
  13. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

This 2003 we just got is so much nicer than the ole 91, however we will not be getting rid of the 91 CTD 4X4 just use him for hauling ... The 03 we did get is and has been well maintenanced with 315K ,40 K on new trans (auto). New upper and lower BJ, inner tie rod , wheel bearings,pads and rotors. If you didn`t know it pulling a 22 ft gooseneck loaded with loader tractor and implemnents, you would indeed think you were in a brand new truck . We paid 6900 for the truck 1 month ago and still zero buyer remorse. Next is an upfit to a new Western plow.
    I could never see us using anything but Dodge CTD 4X4 for our work.We haven`t looked into a new turbo ,at 315 K maybe we need to.
  14. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have 66K on my 05 and just had the entire trans replaced. The diesel HO tears up the trans according to my dealer. I think it was slipping since day 1 because the new trans feels so much different than the truck has ever run. This will be my 4th plowing season with this truck and most likely it's last for me. The extended warranty expires in July so I think I will be getting a new truck then.