1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too late to start plow Biz?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KDOG, Nov 12, 2002.

1. KDOG

KDOG Junior Member

I just lost my job a few weeks ago and have had trouble finding a job that pays as well (45,000). I am thinking of starting a lawncare/snowplow biz. I live in Northwest Indiana and was wondering if it was too late to obtain some commercial snow removal accounts? I have a real nice 97 F150 extended cab but no plow. I am thinking of maybe just doing residentials this year with my snowblower (a real nice one was like 1K). Well please give me some input, I would really appreciate it.

Member of SIMA

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would have to say that your too late for commercial.Residential you might have a chance most i think don't think about the white stuff untill it happens.

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

YOU can do it!

Go with the blower first. Work up a client base, make em happy! Talk them into lawncare, buy a plow next year! Good Luck!:nod:

4. KDOG

KDOG Junior Member

Wow thanks for the quick replies. How do you guys target residentials? Newspaper, brochures? what is most effective for you?

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I did an ad in the local paper some guy that live around the conner from me did flyers on every door .Best advertising is on your truck get some magnetic signs and slap them on the side with your services and or put some leaflets on cars at the suppermarget and a notice inside the store. those are just a few of the things tht you could do>just to give you Ideas but every reagion is different as to what works the best.

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That is how I started out. Two years ago I bought a John Deere snowblower and had an excellent winter. Last year I bought a Fisher snowplow but only got to plow once last year due to lack of snow. Hopefully this winter will be much better.

I advertise by placing my business cards at local store and has an ad on community calendar. But most of customers that I got are from word of mouth.

7. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

If all else fails you could work as a sub doing walks. I know a lot of guys who hate doing walks. Just a thought.

John

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had a flyer made up when I started, you can pick your canvas areas. Don't put anything inside mailboxes, it's against the law! You can, however, attach them to the outside of the box.

You can also post them at local stores, most have an area for this type of thing. Once you get a few accounts, if you prove yourself dependable, you should see your list grow quickly.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

All good advise. Also, talk to the maintenance people for any apartment complexes, duplexes, malls and anthing else with a sidewalk. Find out who is responsible for snow removal and offer to keep the walks clear. You'd be surprised how many can get the lot plowed, but have a hard time getting the walks done! Don't forget to talk up and sell anti- and deicing.

10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

We actually passed on two nice accounts this year because they had such an extensive amount of sidewalks. It would have tied the trucks up for too long....

11. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Not saying to take advantage but if you have an area near you where there is a neighborhood of senior citizens then thats where I would target first. Most of senior citizens can't shovel snow or cut the grass plus they will usually ask you to do other odd jobs for them. Then as the way seniors are when they go to thier "senior meetings" they will tell others about you and you can get some more work without costing you anything. Just a thought.

12. KDOG

KDOG Junior Member

***BUMP***