1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too late to advertise? Mid-October

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by mrplowjr_ez_v, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

This year I was looking to add 15-20 new customers. since last year we didn't get any snow I lost a few, and I have the ability this year to expand a bit I thought I'd try a new marketing plan.payup

I skipped the newspaper ad, and went for direct mailing/leaflets, and yard signs, and a new website.

The website has generated some interest, but not enough, the other two resulted in 0 calls.:confused:

Am I too late to advertize in the paper? I know there are allways a few procrastinators, but is it worth the cost of the ad this late in the season?

What is the going rate where you are for a paper ad?/classified? How long do you run it?

Thanks for the help.

2. shamp

shamp Member

my local paper cost me $180.00 for 1 month. Its never to late to run ads you will always pic up new customers specially the ones who don't call till theres 6" of snow in the drive.
  3. Mad Mulcher

Mad Mulcher Member

If you are short on work, run an ad from now until a month after you start plowing. The local papers in my area charge $15 - $16 per week for a classified ad. November 27, 2005 I had 6 customers on my residential route and by New Years I had 18! I see no need for small operators to pay for a larger display ad in the service directory.
  4. Kosty

Kosty Member

where in rochester do u plow and whats the name of ur company im getting calls daily like crazy
  5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

The phone book is a very good starting point for any business.
  6. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

I thought about the phone book but its pretty spendy. I remember from a previous business I was involved in it was 1200 somthing a year min.

I'm originally from Webster. But currently live off winton road, but plow in Webster/Penfield/Irondequoit area.

I did get a call today, and one las week but thats it so far. one was not in my area but real close to where I live so I looked at it and there was a fence on one side, garage at the end, house on the other side, lamp-post at the street corner, and mailbox on oppeset side.

I was like :cool: no. if we had more than 6 inches of snow I'd be done as far as places to push the snow. not to mention the streer had alternate parking YUK!
  7. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i think i am going to take out an add either tomorrow or the next day. where i live we dont get tons of snow. and it doesnt snow for real until about the mid to end of november.

P.S. to take out an add in my local paper is $42 a month. $180 is outrageous i think!!!!
  8. jkowal

jkowal Junior Member

Plowing leads

Hey just had an idea. I live and sell rock salt in the rochester area and we have found it not to be as productive in advertise too much. The best sort of marketing is through word of mouth.
    You already have a few customers and had probaly have done good by them. Have them be your marketers, give them a couple flyers to past to their relatives, or better the next door neighbor. Your friends can pass out a couple of you cards too, 20 customers should not be worth $200 in marketing. Get personal be creative and you'll be set before you know it.

by the way what is your website?
  9. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

10. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

never to late to advertise
  11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ressurrecting old threadss... and the guy two posts up still has his website under construction...lol