1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too High

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chevymann, Jan 14, 2004.

1. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Is my truck too high?
    I've got a 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton fullsize 4x4 which I have recently done a frame off restoration on. Initially, I did not intend to put a plow on the truck. If I had, I would not have installed a 4" lift and 35" tires. Well, now I NEED a plow. I bought a new BOSS 8' Superduty Poly w/ Smarthitch2. The recommended push beam height is 15 1/2". I haven't measured yet, but I know that with the 4" lift and 35" tires, I'm a lot higher than 15 1/2". My question is, should I remove the 4" lift and 35" tires and have no lift at all or can I go with maybe a 2" lift and 33" tires? Or, can I weld brackets to the undercarriage to drop the height of the pushbeam (I realize that this will need to be well braced)? I just finished rebuilding the truck and I really don't want to lower it, unless I absolutely have to. What's the best way to deal with this situation? Also, what is the highe I can be on the push beam and still function properly. If I had lots of money, I'd just go buy a new truck, but unfortunately, that's not an option.
    Any help would be appreciated. If you think it would help, I could post some pics.
    Thanks

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Loose the lift kit and go back to a stock suspension. Ditch the 35" & 33" tires and put on some tall skinny tires like a 235/75-R15 to get the best traction. I see your just down the road from me chevymann.

3. jkce457

jkce457 Junior Member

I have a 1985 GMC Sierra K2500 with a 4" lift and 34" tires. I had the A-frame modified with a 3 inch block so it would not decrease the ground clearance when the plow is off. I have no problems plowing with regards to the angle of the plow.

- Justin

4. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

What type of plow are you using, Justin? Do you have any pics of the plow and modifications you can post?
    Thanks

5. jkce457

jkce457 Junior Member

I have an older 7.5 ' Western Pro-Plow. All that I had done was cut off the "tabs" on the A-Frame that the pins go through, then weld them back on with 3 or 4" stock under them. This keeps the plow at the same angle as it was with stock suspension(almost), and doesn't change the ground clearance when the plow is off because the modifcation is to the plow A-Frame, not the plow frame on the truck. Sorry, but I don't have any pics right now. Hope that helps.

- Justin

6. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Thanks Justin. I know exactly what you're talking about. I also have an older Western plow with the same mount. However, it's on my '76 Chevy 3/4 ton, which is not lifted. The one I need to modify is on my '79 Chevy. The new BOSS plow with Smarthitch2 has a different mount. I talked to the dealer and he recommended lengthening the pushbeam brackets where they bolt to the frame of the truck. It looks like I can weld a 4-5" piece of steel to each side with gussets and drill new holes. Should put me where I need to be.

7. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

my boss mount is running fine at about 18 inches beefed up the front end a bit and ran into the same problem you are looking at the only major problem about not having it at the 15 1/2 is it makes it a little harder to hookup...

8. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Here's a pic of the truck

dsc00114.jpg

9. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Picture of the plow

dsc00121.jpg

10. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

What plow? I can't see it. All I see is a NICE camaro in the back, looks like its ready for some 1/4 mile fun.

What class?

Looks like a 9 second car to me, if not faster!!

11. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

It's a consistent 10 second car. We've thought about getting into the 9's but the car is heavy and the faster you go, the more you break. It's very consistent and you should see the wheelstands:D
    It's also For Sale if you're interested

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

how much $$

thanks

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Dude that thing is way to high to do any serious plowing. How would you even see the plow to know what its at? I can see it now you mounted 6 foot high plow markers and when the plow trips you whip the alum siding with the markers. Whack!

14. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

My 85 chevy pick up has a 4 inch suspention lift. I do serious plowing. Infact, I prefer the 4 inch lift, gives a better veiw of the land. Its no different than plowing in a single axle. My plow sits relativly level now that I put a new cutting edge on it. I do prefer to run a Pro-net instead of a tail gate. I plow lots of small lots, and seing what I'm backing into helps. The salter only blocks a small amount of veiw.

I'm workin on my mustang right now. Turbo fed 408 cubic inch fuel injected monster, with ran by accell Digital Fuel Injection. :eek: should be 1000 flywheel HP.

I'm lookin for low nines, @145-150ish

Technology + displacement = real power

15. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Wirenut........I'm asking $17,500.00 for the Camaro. I have specs and pics if you're interested.

Robhollar.......I've seen trucks sit higher than mine w/ plows on them. If you know how to drive, it's not a problem and believe me, this thing will push some serious snow. As far as tripping the blade and the 6' markers hit the aluminum siding.....why are you plowing toward the house?

Joe.........I agree with you about the 4" lift and the idea about the pro-net sounds good. What year is your Mustang? Sounds like a nice project. My buddy has a '92 LX Convertible 5.0 w/ turbo. He's putting out about 850hp. It's a total sleeper.

16. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

plow

I have a fabtech 5.5 lift with 35's and use the boss 8 foot superduty with smarthitch. They only thing I have noticed is that the float doesnt always work when leaving some driveways depending on the angle... other than that I havent had any problems. If I put the stock tires back on I dont have any problems at all.

17. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Ztoro.....Did you have to do any modifications to the undercarriage? What kind of truck?

18. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

here is the plow with stock tires and 5.5 lift

boss.jpg

19. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

no mods were done. here is the mounting bracket with the 35's on. you can see the bar can be adjusted pretty low

boss1.jpg

20. chevymann

chevymann Junior Member

Nice Rig! Do you know what the height of the bushbeam is on your truck. BOSS recommends 15 1/2". Are you close to that. On my truck, the way it is, the pushbeam will be about 20".