1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too cold

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jwhitehead23, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jwhitehead23

jwhitehead23 Junior Member

After refusing to look for any plow work cause I've just got a cabless Mahindra tractor, ive found myself with 7 gas stations to plow. The tractor is working great but loading and unloading pulling a trailer, oh yea the freaking cold, I'm now reminded why I wasn't gonna look. So to the reason for the post I've decided to get a plow. I don't want to put one on my pulling truck cause the tranny is under enough strain. So Does anyone know where i can find a plow for my 1979 4x4 chevy luv. I know that question has prolly been asked thousands of times and I should have just used the search. Nascar24 talked about using a fisher speedcast on one years ago but it was a post from 3 years ago. I know it's a light truck but it gets around better than anything in the snow and it manuvers around a small lot easy. Also its a fully boxed frame so its plenty strong. Any help would be great!

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Why not just put a cab on the tractor?

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

No disrespect implied on this comment, but I can't help but to chuckle. Really a chevy luv? It would be lucky to push a 52 inch quad plow. I would definatley look for a cab for the tractor. I would think you could pick up a cheap cab for a couple hundred dollars, compared to 800 or so for the plow, then you would have to custom make some sort of mount for the luv.

4. jwhitehead23

Yea really a chevy luv, no disrespect taken. It'll do more than most give it credit for. Doesn't have a lot of power but it's geared low. And I'm working on a 4bt 3.9 cummins to cram in it. Putting a cab on the tractor still means I'm lugging it around on a 25' gooseneck in the snow.

5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just put it on the truck you pull the trailer with? When you say pull truck are you talking like tractor pull type stuff? I use my plow truck for hauling landscape equipment in the summer holds up fine.

6. jwhitehead23

Yea my pull truck is the one I pull the tractor with. It's a 98 dodge cummins truck, after tugging around a 7k lb tractor(8 with the brush hog) on a 25' gooseneck the tranny is under enough strain. Dodge used the best motor ever made with the crappiest tranny. I might end up using that truck I just want to research my luv options first.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

are the gas stations somewhat close? i was thinking you might be able to leave the tractor on site and drive it from station to station instead of towing if they are somewhat close together

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would put a plow on the '98.

Short of custom mounting I doubt you will ever find anything for the Luv.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Put a plow and if necessary rebuild and strengthen the tranny in the Dodge- the Luv will be... well, for what it does it's great but for plowing... not so much. They have low gears but weak drive trains. Never meant for that kind of use and at this point in the year 2011 it's going to be a really tough job finding any kind of plow parts for it.

Plenty of tranny options for the Dodge that will easily surpass the strain and power output of the Cummins unless you decide to Bomb it out, which would make it way too torquey for plowing anyway.