1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

too cheap??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by joeplowguy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. joeplowguy

joeplowguy Junior Member

i lease a shop from our landlord and agreed to plow 3 of his small industrial strip malls for $ 1.00 a minute. that includes any shoveling,plowing or salting.he pays for the salt and stores it in a empty unit.I figured i would b safe charging this way because i want to b covered no matter what happens.friend of mind says im crazy and would b better off subbin but i think in the long run im happy because they are my accounts and i get to charge even the most minor saltings or shovelings.welcome any input or thoughts thanks.

2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Just trucks or is big equipment also 1$ an hour?

3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

sounds a little low to me.

4. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

That's only 60 an hour... Too cheap for plowing. Too high for shoveling

5. joeplowguy

joeplowguy Junior Member

chris,thats for my only truck an f-250 with a 8' hiniker and snowex 1075.pretty much a one man operation.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure between the shoveling, and plowing it works out to a reasonable rate.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

how much plowing vs shoveling? if its a couple hours of plowing and 20 minutes of shoveling the its way to cheap. however if it is vise versa then its pretty good.

8. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If it works for you than it's great good luck.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

for michigan, that's not all that bad.
    ice melt is extra right?

we do some per minute places (but I'm not in Michigan so rates don't compare), but ice melt is so much per pound extra.

10. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

I don't do much shoveling with my contracts but if I did I would just figure it by how much your labor is worth per hr. As for the plowing I also bid a $1.00/minute. Sometimes of course if you give a property owner a flat rate its going to take longer with more snow, but it seems to work out in the end when it doesnt take as long.