1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

too chain or not too chain?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HIGHWAYMAN, Dec 20, 2005.

we are getting 12' pusher, do you chain it on? if so do you chain to top or side of bucket. plow will be on cat 928 loader.
  2. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Yes you chain it on.... Otherwise you will be chasing the thing all over the parking lot..... It will constantly try to turn itself sideways and when you get to the snowpile chances are likely you'll drop the thing off the bucket..

There are not too many things that suck more than dumping a pusher over a pile and then trying to retreive the thing at 3Am in 10 degrees with wind and snow blowing...

Try for the sides of the bucket but if necessary you can us the top areas in the corners.....
  3. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

hey pro cut sounds like you have used push boxes long enough,how do they compare to a skidsteer with a blade vs the box,i know the runoff on the sides is better controlled by the box but how about in and out of mall areas such as walks and handicap spots how does the machine act then.we have a blade on one and it works well in tight spots but the long haul it too slow too go across the lot with blade how would the box work out ? or are skidsteers too small for a box.

ya thought so too. i'm going to drill holes in bucket to mount some removeable pins(or something like that). get acouple binders and try to get a good quick couple system for it. thanks man
  5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I would not use binders, in fact I believe the mfr's don't recommend them either. You should be fine with a length of chain on each side and simply hook the ends to the chain itself. You want some slack in the chain so that the box will float a bit, but tight enough so that the box stays on the bucket when you raise it up.

really, so don't crank it on.what my welder is proposing is wield grab hooks on the top outside corners of bucket that way we can chain on the box up on bucket
  7. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Grab hooks

I welded grab hooks on the side. I tried the top. The side works much better helping keep the push box level.