1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too bright High beam indicator, trans. whine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gottabirdog, Nov 21, 2004.

1. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

:waving: I've read the thread re: '03 and earlier indicators that were dimmed with scanner by dealer. My '04 2500 HD indicator is way too bright too :waving: . Dealer says no service bulletins, he can't do anything about it. Any ideas? Any body else with a loud hydraulic pump whine from transmission hot or cold, most noticable in low and reverse?

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well I have an '04 2500HD, and I do notice a high pitch whine or whistle at certain rpms from the tranny, but have yet to check with the dealer about it. My hi beam indicator does not seem overly bright, but then again I rarely use them.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The "whine" could be from the pump design they use in tranny. I would not be as concerned about the whine as I would if it changes in pitch or intensity because that can spell posible trouble.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Recommended to one customer to put a small piece of transparent tape over it. Not pro but works. :)

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

It does not appear to change in pitch or intensity, but like I said it only occurs a certain RPM/speed combinations. It is pretty consistent when it does it. I notice it the most when traveling at somewhere around 35 mph and light throttle.

6. Tarkus

Just keep track of it so to speak, if it makes any noticable changes, a trip to dealer would be inline.

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What transmission? (Or engine if you don't know)

The Allisons are naturally whiney.

You shouldn't hear much whine from a 4L80E. If you do, have it checked out.

8. Tarkus

If it is the original poster it would be a 4L80E or 85 (as GM was changind over in 04) and I agree that they are normally quiet gear boxes but the new 85's could have a different sound to them.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

All the more reason to have trucks listed in sig.

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

allisons(if you have one) are naturally a bit whiney. Most people dont hear it unless they have a gasser. I would say its an easy fix though.....get some exhaust for it :cool:

There is a tsb on the 03's.......maybe the same procedure?

11. Tarkus

WHy? Then you cannot hear if a problem is developing until maybe it is too late?

12. gottabirdog

gottabirdog Junior Member

Thanks, the dealer suggested a piece of tape over the hi beam indicator. The whine is noticable both in gear and in neutral and varys in pitch with the engine RPM's It's a 6 liter, not an Allison. Don't know whether 4L80 or 85 at this point.Just got the truck 2 weeks ago.

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

My 97GMC 454 has that whine too. Sounds like the tran. pump sound like the older fords. It is not getting worse so I just ignore it.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Is the whine engine rpm related, or speed related.

Almost all new automatics have a little speed related (new gears) whine.

Would you like a little cheese with your wine? :drinkup:

15. Tarkus

I do not think he is reffering to first gear whine that hydromatics have had since day one. Sounds like pump noise. Also remember the pump in the fuel tank whines too and maybe he is hearing that.

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if it varys its pitch with rpm its not the tank fuel pump. if its happening even in N if you rev it then its not gear whine. I'm betting its the pump in the trans but it could be a smattering of things. Could be feed back from the alt making noise, I mean there are many possibilities, and very hard to diagnosis especuiially without being able to hear it.......poke around with a mechanics stethescope or a piece of vaccume line and a pry bar and try to narrow down were its coming from if your worried about it. Let your dealer know the next time you are there to at least get it documented and as long as its not getting worse run it and if it pukes you have it documented and its under warrantee. Trans ussually blow up rapidly if things start going south.

17. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Future's so bright.....

According to another Chevy Truck forum info, the customer complaints about the BRIGHT Hi-beam indicator have been so numerous that some dealers have been willing or authorized to correct the problem as a "customer satisfaction" warranty repair.

I was so unhappy with the ridiculously bright Hi-beam indicator and the manual tranny SHIFT indicator, I opened up the dash and fixed both with some tinted plastic gel media..

There was some GM doublespeak by the Techs on that forum that it is a safety neccessity so you can tell if your brights are on in the daylight-?!?!. OK< then why is the shift indicator so bright you couldn't see out the windshield when it comes on, isn't that a safety concern.

Here is GM's answer to the dangerous breaking tailgate straps:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/EQUIPMENT/100_1310_WEB.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/EQUIPMENT/100_1305_WEB.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/EQUIPMENT/100_1309_WEB.jpg
    GM's Solution: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Powerband/EQUIPMENT/100_1308_WEB.jpg

'NUFF SAID PB :cool: