1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Too bad this didn't stick

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Banksy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

For all those doubters out there that don't think it can snow here in NC. Well, it can. I worked on my Fisher wiring install during this. It lasted all afternoon with a few short breaks. Weather people called for a few flakes during the commute. This is more than a few. Ground was still to warm to keep it, but it did start to collect just a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Out of curiosity though, do you actually have to plow during the winter? Or does it just melt? I know in VA sometimes plowing occurs, but mostly some salting and it just melts. But I'm curious how far down the coast snow goes.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It melts much faster here than up north, but if it doesn't get plowed, it will freeze over and over again at night and ice is a big problem here. The city and state will plow at a couple inches. Just a small storm is a huge problem here. The guy I sub for plows a huge office/research campus if even if just 1 inch falls there. We have gotten 2 feet before and it shut down everything for a week. That happened the winter before I got here though. I get $100 an hour to plow with my truck, so one good storm can make awesome money. We have all the major malls in this area, some strip malls, huge office parks, etc... So there's plenty of work.

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

how is the wiring my bud showed ya working?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I finished putting it in today. I have a couple connections left, but I'm still waiting for some pump parts and then when I finish building that, I'll test it and see if it all works. CPW has come stuff on back order. I think I have maybe $600 into my plow.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Great pics Bansky! Hopefully it signs of things to come!payup

7. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

It's all your money after the first six hours. Sounds like a good side gig down there. payup

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. That's exactly why I was willing to piece it together and not rush, in order to save money because there's no guarantee that I'll use it every year. If I lived in the snow belt, oh boy, I'd have a nice new blade on there and maybe even a nice back up rig.

9. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

Whats all done to the Cummins bud?

10. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

My parents have a place in Roanoke Rapids, about a hour north of you. The first time I saw it snow there, the city had a guy driving a tractor down the street throwing sand out of a 5 gallon bucket :nod:

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not much really. I put in a FASS pump and a 5" single stack. I want another CTD Ram to mess with. It looks like you've done a lot to yours though. :nod:

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've seen the city plow trucks operate before and one guy was wind rowing the snow into the middle of the street :dizzy:

They can be a little clueless down here.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I can't believe it. It's snowing again right now, pretty good too! Second snow fall this week before Thanksgiving in North Carolina and I'm not in the mountains. Wooo hoooo!

14. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The news up here had pics from NC this morning. Durham/Raleigh area I think. payup