1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tons Per Hour

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by River Hill, Mar 20, 2007.

1. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

If you have a standard 8' V box, how many tons per hour of salt do you think you could spread, including loading time? Some of the lots would be wide open and others would be tight.
  2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

We put down 6 Tons in about 3hrs and cover about at 20 mile radius.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

with loading, about 3 ton (one box), in one hour on heavy ice........same load on light snow about 1.5 hour about 3 mile radius (very small town)
  4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Brian You need a hydraulic undertailgate like my truck has. I can dump all 3.5 tons out of my truck in 35-55 mins. :D
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That is a question you can only answer. How open is your chute and how fast is your chain moving? Are you dropping a 1/4 ton at each place or 2 ton. Our 10 ft will empty about 4 or 5 ton in about 20 to 40 min depending on how it is set. We only have large lots and our smallest lot takes about 2 ton and our largest around 12 ton. Good luck with that.