1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MadRiver, Dec 1, 2005.

1. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

I won't need a sander, so I'm thinking of putting a tonneau cover on my truck. Any recommendations on brands? The Extang looks pretty decent, but would like to hear what folks have experienced.

2. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I would to your local accessory store and tell them what you are looking for. they will hook you up the brands that they are familiar with and use. I go to a local guy and just tell him what I want to get, I leave it up to him to tell me what brand is the best. If your local guy is honest then you wont have a problem,

Hope this helps

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Depends on what you're looking for. I have a soft tonneau made by Access. Had it for about 4 years and still looks and works like brand new. My mom's husband has a Pace Edwards (I think that's the name on it), it rolls/slides into a box mounted right behind the cab...the thing is terrible. As soon as he gets a little moisture in it, it freezes and he can't either open or close it. He finally took it off after two years and threw it out.

Buck

4. ultimate snow

ultimate snow Junior Member

I’ve had my pace Edwards for over a year now and never had a problem with it.
    If you have it installed and aligned right you should not have and problems with It.:cool:

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

The dealer installed it and re-installed two times after that and it still didn't work with a hoot. He didn't have a garage to park in either so maybe that was part of the problem or maybe it was just his unit, I don't know. But from his experience I would never buy one, just my opinion.

Buck

6. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

I had a truxedo, rolls all up in one, it was great because you could open and close it when it was really cold too. The truxedo had a lifetime warrenty virsus the extangs 10 year I think.
    James

7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I AM NOW USING MY SECOND ACCESS (ALMOST IDENTICAL TO TRUXXEDO) COVER AND I LOVE IT. NEVER FREEZES, NEVER TOO TIGHT TO INSTALL AND IT LOCKS. gRANTED, YOU COULD CUT THE COVER OFF BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TROUBLE, OUTOF SIGHT, OUTOF MIND.

8. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

It's what you prefer

:waving: Hi Mad River, Tonneau's are tough! There are alot out there and you get what you pay for! I agree with Fireman Q. If you have a honest supply warehouse nearby he'll let you know what works for the conditions. I have found this. Vinyl when frozen will crack and rip. snaps? buy a repair kit! The cloth ones people seem to like but they have the same problems. I presently have a hard shell the only problem for me so far is when the handle freezes it won't turn lock / unlock. It's heavy enough so it doesn't spring open. I was also able to pick up a used one so the cost wasn't so bad. I've also found the if you want a vinyl or cloth cover. Extang I think makes the best! :salute:

PaleRider :gunsfiring: