1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tonnaue covers: useful or just in the way?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Nov 19, 2006.

Love it or hate it?

1. Love having a cover on plowtruck

21 vote(s)
  2. Can't stand it, always in my way....

7 vote(s)
  3. Hate mine since it doesn't flip up, but I would love it on plowtruck if it flipped up.

0 vote(s)
  1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

My truck came with an Extang Fulltilt tonnaue cover which is a vinyl snap button style that has an aluminum frame with gas shocks and tilts up like a hard top. Very handy cover though I hate soft tops its really nice to have. Have not plowed with a tonnaue on a truck is it nice to keep tools, salt, shovels and a 2 stroke snowthrower out of the weather or is it just in the way? I think it'll be nice especially since it flips up but time will tell...

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I liked having mine last year. I have an Extang Classic with snaps. But it has been off for about 6 months now because it annoyed the hell out of me having to roll it up each time I wanted to load the atv. Also, I don't like the way they flap on the highway. My next cover will be a fold-a-cover.
  3. nichols

nichols Member

I have a roll up cover by Access. The sides secure with velcro, and it latches at the tailgate end of it onto the rails. Takes about fifteen seconds (literally) to either roll it up or unroll it.

I think I paid around $350 for it, but worth every penny.
  4. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I have the same cover and I love it as well, opens and closes very easily!
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You guys try them in the cold yet?
    I have an older Dick Cepeck model with an aluminum frame and a snap on top. It's greqat in the summer, but by the end of september it's too cold to stretch it onto the snaps.
    If I undid it in december I'd never get it streched back to snap it on.
    A snowblower won't fit under it, actually the buckets I haul my spreading sand and salt don;t fit under it either. I tried a cap last season- major visability issues, so it's back to the open bed here.
  6. yeah the cold makes it kinda hard to snap them back, but after they get broken in, it's a lot better. At least that's how my Downey was.
  7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I have an Access cover also, no issues with the cold. Last one was snap on and I NEVER got it back on in the winter.
  8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Well I just now mounted up my Western ProFlo 2 spreader which is receiver hitch mount but not swing away and besides finding that a buncha rust had destroyed the area that the conveyor drive roller bearing flange mounts to, which I now have to take it off and fix, I remembered the fact that I cannot open the tailgate with the spreader on... well you have to open the tailgate to unlatch the cover so you can flip it up, and the latches for the cover hit some support bars that were rigged onto the spreader to bolt onto the bedrails of the truck to help stabilize the spreader and support the weight... so i can't shut it all the way nor get to the latches... I guess it may have to come off unless I figure something else out and thats a real !*()$# because I was really thinking the cover would be quite nice vs. previously always having snow and ice all over equipment, tools, shovels, snowthrower, and bags of salt... ok remembering how much of a pain that was I think i'm going to find a way to make this work LOL... I can lay my snowthrower down and it will fit in the bed...

well holy crap i also just realized that I won't be able to hop up into the bed over the side to load bags of salt into the spreader easily... gosh darnit.... well crap... :help:

and more rantings and venting:
    this spreader is so huge and heavy mounting is a 2 person ordeal (or i use my lift) but I can't leave it on the truck in preparation for a slick morning, and still tow the trailer to do leaf cleanups... this is ridiculous... wish i still had my 2 ton dump to tow the lawn trailer for cleanups so i could get on with getting this truck ready for snow... we had a icy morning when i woke up today and hadn't even gotten the spreader out yet... so i missed out on some fun.... and i don't have a plow subframe for the truck yet either1 :yow!: :dizzy: kinda pissed at everything... "f" it all....
  9. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I've got a button down - tilt up deal like some others here, and I love it. Yes it certainly be a pain sometimes, but it's way better than the alternative.
  10. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

I love my UnderCover, the cheapest, strongest hard cover you can get hands down. One piece, light enough to remove yourself, strong enough to stand on, opens without having to open the tailgate! If anyone is interested the link is www.undercoverinfo.com

I use a ProFlo2 and all the salt I need stays dry, push spreader straps to the top.

11. john boardman

john boardman Member

I've got a Truxedo Low profile soft cover it uses velcro along each side. rolls up in less than ten seconds and stretches down within 60 seconds. It uses a bar with a quick release to stretch front to back effortlessly. The only part that takes any time is pulling each side taut so the little ripples go away 20-30 seconds each side and all you need then is a drum stick. A hard cover won't work for me as a carpenter hauling tools around. Anything tall and I roll it up. I just don't want to be one of those guys drivin down the freeway with their hard cover sticking up in the air swaying back and forth because they had to haul something to big to close the top.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a roll up one by Access, and I love it.
  13. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i have the truxcedo low pro also with the velcro side, wouldnt go with out it. keep everthing in back dry and secure. and with the ford p/u has a locking tail gate so can you say big trunk..... its great to keep tools locked and safe. and now snow to shovel outta the back of the truck. its a 380 top but is the best no flapping ect.....

14. john boardman

john boardman Member

Dee Zee's factory is here in Des Moines and they own there own outlet close by carrying all there products plus others they had the truxedo's discounted this summer for 199 with the low pro going at 230 which is a nice chunk off the retail price plus no shipping.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006