1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tonight was not my night... I don't know but I'll bet this'll be expensive.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Howdy guys... Some days things go my way. Today was not one of those days. Check this **** out.

So, about 7pm tonight, I'm plowing down one of the trails around here, and it's a *****. The ground is real soft and the plow constantly wants to dig in, and does a few times.. pretty good too. So I get to the bottom of the hill, go to raise the plow, and the goddamned center pin is sticking 15" out of the top of the hinge!

I stop and grab my 4D maglite and go take a look... The bolt that's supposed to be securing the center pin is gone. Saw it earlier today, dont' know if it broke, or if it was loose already and worked it's way out. Either way, the pin still swivels and it'll go in if I bang on it. I proceeed to do this, along with little bouts of jiggling the plow with the controller. Spent about an hour on it (eventually switched to a framing hammer) and got the thing to within about 1" of bottoming out. I couldn't believe it went that far, but that was it. Incredibly, I had a bolt and some washers that fit perfectly to secure the pin at it's new 1" height. I can't wait to find out what's going to be involved in repairing that.

So I make my way back up to the house - now it's about 9pm, and I'm basically trying to finish what I had started a couple of hours ago. It's still snowing hard and we're supposed to get about 2 feet. My neighbor hadn't plowed and I owed him one so I go to plow the trail up to his house, going really gently and keeping the plow a good inch or two off the ground. Get done with that and slip a chain link on the way back to the house. Awesome.

Limp back to the house, grab a couple of channel locks and a torch, repair the chain, put it back on and head back out. Get about 95% done and slip a mother$%!#$^%!#$% chain on the other side. At that point I said @#$% it. Finished up, gently, dragging the @^#@$&* chain, get back up to the house, get the @$#@ing torch and channel locks and fix the other chain.

So now it's midnight. If anyone has any suggestions for the center pin, or wants to point out that I did something ******** - go for it, I'm all ears (eyes). Good night.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Good morning everybody..

Happy to say I managed to do my run this morning without breaking anything else. If anyone has some experience or advice to offer about the center pin sticking out an inch, I'd love to read it. I'm hoping that getting the plow up on some blocks and doing a bit of shuffling will allow me to get the pin in, but thinking of how it went last night, I'm concerned I might have bent somthing out of alignment. I don't see anything that looks like it could move far, but there was some cracked paint that sure looked like it popped off the steel when it bent a little.

Anybody got any thoughts they want to share on that one?

Thanks guys...
  3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

94 views and not a single reply?

Is B&B on vaca?
  4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not certain on the cost, but it can't be too bad. I can buy an entire side of that plow for $600 so I can't imagie it would cost more than a couple hundred bucks to fix.

Get ahold of B&B, he will know.

6. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks Bossman... That's the info I was looking for. I found the part # for the half blade, (BAL16005), but couldnt' find a price.

I looked at it in the daylight this afternoon and the bottom hinge pin hole on either side is bent about a quarter inch. I could clearly see the end of the pin and where it wasn't lining up with the slot, even though all the other pin holes were lined up perfectly. Were I to get the pin into the first bent slot, it would then jam on the second, so I expect they are both bent, although not by much. The end of the pin still finds the hole, but doesn't stand a chance of going through.

Do you all know if this is this something that can be repaired, or am I looking at two new blades?

Paging B&B...
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A lost hinge pin hold down bolt is mostly do to laziness during assembly. That bolt needs Lock-tite to stay in place (and many just don't use it), the included split lock washers don't do it. It's even worse when they (the assembler) use the same bolt to attach the center rubber flap when a snow defector is mounted instead of taking the time to drill a new hole behind it for it's own dedicated bolt because then there's nothing to lock it down against except rubber. But some insist this is acceptable to save assembly effort. :dizzy:

Bent wing eyes usually do not require the wing assemblies to be replaced except in some extreme cases. With a little heat and some tweaking they can be brought back in alignment as that's how I fix them. Haven't had to replace many complete wings due to losing the pin, I can almost always repair them. And customers are happy too, because I don't know where Bossman buys his parts but the cost on 8.2 VXT wings are a $1000 PER side. So you definitely don't want to replace anything you don't have to.

You should also completely remove the pin and check it carefully to see if it's bent, especially the last 2" near the bottom. And if it's bent at all...replace it. Or else it causes other issues down the road.
  9. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks - If heat can safely be applied and the area can be bent back into shape, this is going to be no problem... I asked OJW to inspect the pin, which they said was a part of their procedure for this sort of work. Should I be so concerned with it that I disassemble the plow myself after it's been repaired? If so, I would try to wait until summer. The last thing I need right now, just as snow is really starting, is to pull the plow apart.

You're right, sorry. Don't have a camera around. I really should have asked specifically from the beginning if the wings could take some heat and reshaping because that's all that's going to be required.

On the basis of B&B's comment about the lost bolt being an install issue, I gather I should be pursuing this as a warranty claim? If that's the case, does anyone expect I would be successful in doing so?

I really appreciate the help guys - I will post again when I get some more info.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Just heard back from OJW that the pin is reseated after a little love for the pin hole alignment... As far as the pin in concerned, they pulled it, called it good, regreased and installed it. Also took a fourth shot at getting the center snow deflector to stay put. $130. I'm not going to argue with anyone about that.

Sound about right to you guys?
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you got it fixed up and I doubt warranty will cover it. We have actually broke the wing eye's off and fabbed new ones up and welded them on with great success. Some dealers are only parts replacers not actual mechanics.
  12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks Dave... Not going to pursue anything over $130... If we were looking at a couple of grand plus install, that would have been something else altogether.

I'm pretty sure these guys do a variety of work... It's a pretty big shop and they are the boss techs for a couple of big contracts around here. I'm actually kind of suprised at how fast they can deal with me as an individual... I rolled in there once and they had about 30 10' v-plows assembled and waiting for pickup. I don't know who they went to, but they be movin' snow, that's for sure.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Price was fair but I'd certainly recommend pulling the bolt to be sure they used thread locker on it this time.
  14. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

No doubt... I'm interested to see what they did with the deflector as well... Last time it didn't last the trip home.