1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ton verses yard

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ultra, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Ultra

Ultra Member

O.k. call me dense can someone explain ton verses yard and the size of the bucket for each and how many buckets equals??? I got two yards of salt at supplier and 2 yards from another totally different... Can you guys help me understand the difference???:confused:
  2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

i think i even confused myself :confused: :dizzy:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Ultra

Ultra Member

ton verses yards

I am asking two yards of salt how many buckets how many buckets if the buckets are small and how many buckets if the bucket is large ? two scoops with a small and one scoop with a large? and if I were to get 2 ton what would that be? Thanks for your time in this...:confused:
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

My Supplier has 2 different size buckets for his loader. The one with red paint on it is a 1/2 ton bucket when it is loaded level. The other is a 1 ton bucket. I have always though about what happens if the salt is wet, you will end up with less salt. A few suppliers will way you as they load up your truck.

Regards Mike
  5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

How is someone going to tell you what is what when you dont say what the dimensions of the buckets are? A yard of salt weighs 2200-2500 lbs depending on moisture.
  6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Everybodys "yard" depends on the piece of equipment. You'd have to measure cubic feet of each bucket. Are you getting different amounts from different yards and you want to know which one is giving you the better deal??
  7. Ultra

Ultra Member

There are two standard sizes most suppliers use one is smaller 1/2 yard I guess and the larger is 1 yard I guess Well can you tell me what physical size a two yard bucket is?? And is a ton more than a yard and if so by how much?
  8. speedy

speedy Senior Member

9. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Here the state comes down and if you don't have a scale they check the struck capacity of the bucket and then it has to be engraved (we actually marked ours with weld bead) on the side of the bucket. Usually you get a bit more since most guys will give you a slightly heaped load.

In CT this is true for anyone who wholesales or resells bulk materials, mulch, stone, topsoil, sand, salt etc.

A yard of dry salt scooped in a bucket is usually just over a ton maybe 2200lbs.
  10. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

A cubic yard is 27 sq. ft. Imagine a wooden box that was 3' x 3' x 3'. Now fill it to the top with salt and thats a yard.

A ton of salt is less than a yard. As stated above a yard of salt will weigh over a ton depending on moisture content.
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Like Flipper said......

a bucket measures volume not weight.............to know you are getting a ton you have to weigh the product...

if they are selling by the ton and not weighing your load then I would question their methods......
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I agree with this - one supplier I go to sells by the ton and the other by the yard. Dollar for dollar I feel I get more per yard than per ton.
  13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Again here you can't sell by the ton unless you have a scale, that weighs the truck before and after loading. Only the O&G yards here have that. When I buy material from them I get weighed, loaded and weighed and then get a ticket that says the exact weight I bought.

When I get a yard of mulch its an estimate based on the bucket. The supplier doesn't want the customer to report them for shorting so they always give a bit more. Plus if you are a good customer they tend to be good to you. My mulch guy end of giving me closer to 5 yards on a normal 4 yard request.

I buy most of my salt in bulk and load and resell some so I am sure to be careful loading guys so their not short.

A funny side note I have seen guys at the mulch yard shoveling spillage from loading the truck. A lot of effort for pennys of mulch when you are getting extra anyway. I don't even bother getting out of the truck.
  14. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

Not to pick nits, but it's 27 CUBIC feet.
  15. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I know given the choice, I'd rather buy it by the yard. Then it should be the same every time. To compare the two I would want to know what a DRY yard weighs and go from there.
  16. Ultra

Ultra Member

Thank you for your vast knowledge on the subject . It has made me understand .... Now I gotta find some around here .
  17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Best thing you can do Ultra is to know your container{dump body/sander} so good that it would be difficult for some operator to short change you.As previously stated,it's not hard---LxWxD---keep it all in feet---27cu.'per cubic yard,so simply divide what you get by 27---it will now be in cubic yards.
  18. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Good call, thats what I meant. My fingers and brain were momentarily not coordinating with each other.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

To purchase salt by the yard is the only way to buy in bulk. Since the moisture content of salt will increase with the humidity levels of the air. Of course when you need it it is very wet; (snowing/rain sleet)you are paying for water not salt!!
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ton vs yard? You're comparing apples to oranges. One is a measure of weight and the other a measure of volume. You'll need to know the size of your bucket and the characteristics of the salt (wet or dry / coarse or fine). It's entirely possible that you would get two yards of salt at different times from the same source or from different sources (which is what you did), each weighing different much differently.