1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tombstones............stories? Advice ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dogplow Dodge, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I was flagged down by a grounds keeper for a local church which has an attached area of dirt sleepers. Apparently a historic church of some kind.

Anyway, the tombstones are right on top of the driveway.... or about 6" off of one side, and about a foot and a half on the other. Any thoughts, tips, or any other helpful ideas NOT to damage them when pushing snow ?

Other than plowing OFTEN (Don't let it get too deep) going really, really slow, and pushing to the side that they sit farther away, I'm actually considering using the snow blower on the side that's real close, then coming back in and plowing the drive afterwords..... or vice verse. Unfortunately, the driveway is just about as wide as my blade...

Some of these tombstones are 200 years old, and I don't want to risk damaging them, otherwise the ghosts I already see will make my life even more stressful than it already is....pumpkin:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Are you crazy ? Stay away from that job dont mess with the unlive.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Be very careful or else this might happen, The UNDEAD!

IMG_5380.jpg

0620112356-00.jpg

0620112356-00.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

What do you do when you plow an apartment complex with a whole line of garage doors? Do you snowblow along the edge by the door?

Plow the middle out and then the sides.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I guess I wasn't clear on this...

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yeah, I get it.... but I think they would look more like this...

Just covered in worms, dirt, blood and skin hanging off of them...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Box wings and try to stack at the end. No matter if you plow 50 times the side windrow accumulation will build up and the icing will eventually affect them. Discuss with the church and explain you have an added cost. (box wings)

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I guess I didn't see that about the drive width but I still think it'll be easy.

What if you boxed your plow in, put end plates on it - heck even pin them on so they are on and off real quick. If the drive is 50' long, push the last ten feet, back up and push 20', back up and push 30' etc..... Just don't start from the begining really start from the end and plow it sort of backwards.

If you are carefull and not take to much each time you shouldn't get buildups on the edges.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

what have they done for the first hundred ninety nine years?

why reinvent the wheel now?

10. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yup get out the shovel & call a few guys....or use a snow blower

11. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

The section where the tombstones are along the drive, with NO Spacing on the other side (due to the rectory) is where I'm going to have to use the snow blower. It's about 10' wide at one end, and 9' wide at the other side of the building, then it opens up. Distance is about 25 feet long.

I guess that section will either get done first, or last, depending on circumstances...

Thanks for the ideas. I may just look into boxing the ends like you guys suggested..

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you want feedback on Box Ends talk to Bird, he's a expert........xysport

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

On that note......

KISS..... Use the snow blower and be done with it.....

Anyone have any good plowing graveyard stories ??? Church stories ????

I plow another facility where people are called dirt sleepers, and there's a guy who comes there every single day to visit his wife who passed some .....(insert # of years).... ago. Regardless of weather, he's there clearing the top of her grave, putting flowers, making sure she can see the sunlight.. you know, how most dead people like to be kept...

Anyway, he gets in the way, as he thinks his chevy cavalier is a snow mobile. He's also the reason I tend to do the plowing at night, so he can get in there, when I'm not.

This church / graveyard will bring in a whole new bunch of crazies, I'm sure...

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

BTW,

I forgot to mention before.... the picture above, with all the Undead in it, is actually a really good representation of some of the folks who live here. We call them heroine addicts, or meth addicts, but they pretty much look the same except that the meth addicts teeth are all blackened and rotted out with something called "meth mouth".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meth_mouth

Really some sad stuff going on in society, now a days, and unfortunately our customs and superstitions are slowly but surely becoming reality.

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I do a Methodist church, no bone yard attached just a big open pad of blacktop. Other than the majority of the flock having zero commonsense there's nothing weird.

16. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

lol..

I guess this church does their "counseling" for users as well, huh ? Seems to be a big thing now, churches helping those who are addicted. This church does AA meetings a couple times a week, but they're officially cancelled if the weather is inclement. Sunday worship, otoh, is never cancelled unless it's a state of emergency and the roads are closed to public traffic.

I love those types of days...... Closed to traffic.....

except emergency vehicles, plows, and crazy old ladies needing that last loaf of bread and gallon of milk...:dizzy:

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Best cure for a Zombie problem is a .45ACP to the frontal lobe, the same approach probably works for a select group of natives in your area.

I don’t see much of the junkie stuff out my way, sure it’s around but I don’t frequent big cities where it’s at. Weed on the other hand is all over the place with it being legal in Colorado, all they want to do is chill-out, eat super nacho’s and crash……

I did run across a ex-meth head last week while visiting a friends workplace, this girl had the stereotype meth head teeth and the kicker was she had on a Jaws T-Shirt. The sharks teeth would have been a great improvement for her BTW. According to my friend she is a good worker, always shows up, been off the stuff for a couple years and saving for a new set of choppers.

No they don’t do any counseling or AA type stuff, it’s in a rural area and there's next to no activity except the weekends and maybe a few week nights during the holidays.
    The zero common sense comment stems from not knowing how to park and not dressing for the weather. Real nice folks though, it’s pretty common for them to come out to say thanks and offer a cup of Hot Chocolate/Coffee and cookies. I also see a check within days of sending them an invoice.

We don't really have days were roads are closed to traffic with the exception of Interstates and a few State/US Hwys that get closed with a barricade at the outskirts of towns.

18. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

think of the advertising value. People are dying so you can plow their snow.

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

To the OP, Honestly I'd pass on that job. Good luck with it if you really want it.

20. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks !

I'll post a pic next time I'm in the area, and you can see for yourself the section I'm speaking of. Other than the one strip, the rest of the job is little effort