1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Toledo help bidding and spread rate for salt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Scrandall21, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Scrandall21

Scrandall21 Junior Member

Gonna be my first year with a plow truck. Have done plowing with 4 wheeler and 30" snow blower last couple years and finally upgrading
    Have a 7.5 boss poly sport duty and 07 F150
    I have one job already for a 60,000 square foot lot that is priced at $215 with no salt excpet for entryway. Pretty opened with 2 truck docs.
    Does this sound right?
    And also looking for a general idea how much salt for square footage. I know it is different based on conditions but just trying to get an idea.

Thanks for the help

2. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

That sounds about right for what i would charge, and for the salt depending on conditions your prob looking at spreading between 1/2 and 3/4 yd of salt. Goodluck

3. Scrandall21

thanks for the help.
    I am trying to get a "ball park" on pounds per square foot of salt. I dont have any idea what a yard would weigh.

4. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

A general rule of thumb would be about 20lbs per 1000 sq ft. I have found that 1 yd of salt weighs approximately 2000lbs so 1/2 yd = 1000lbs 3/4 yd weighs 1500lbs ect... Are you using a tailgate spreader on the F150?

5. Scrandall21

yes, tail gate spreader. looking at a snowex 1075

6. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Just remember if your gonna load the bed up with bulk salt you must keep it dry, that is one of my biggest headaches because i load up every storm with about 1.5 yds of bulk salt and it usually forms a thick crust of frozen crap after about 12 hours while being wrapped up in a heavy tarp. The tarp keeps it dry but it gets wet when i uncover it to load the the spreader and the freezes. Im trying to come up with a better way of carrying that much salt plus keeping it from freezing. I have some lots that i have to salt after every plow so i need to have salt at all times. Maybe someone on here has some suggestions?

7. Scrandall21

Thanks for the help. With only a half ton truck, I am thinking one spreader full will be all I should carry for weight purposes. I have some commerical customers aorund town that have said they will allow me to store pallets of bagged salt in their storage buildings so salt will never be far away.

Worth a try to ask so of your customers, maybe give them a small discount.