1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Todays National Weatherman's day.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Feb 5, 2004.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They said this morning on the Weather Channel that today is National Weatherman's Day. Great, their own day for being wrong more then right. Your local forecast on the 8's ( Weather Channel) comes from the National Weather Service so blame them if it's wrong.
  2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Haha - those idiots have their own day????

Next thing you know, we'll be celebrating National Crack Addict Day!
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Maybe they will make it into a National Holiday like everything else. Then all the 8-5 people will get another paid day off. And the kids can go to school until the end of June and start back the 1st of August, sounds fair, right? Of course, if there is another National Holdiday, then the teachers will need a couple more training days, who knows where it could end.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  4. MickiRig1

My wife works for the Akron School System. These teachers make $42k after 5 years of teaching and they whine about being under paid! Where can you work for 9 1/2 months and make money like that and not get your hands dirty or break a sweat?
  5. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

Natonal weathermans day! HA thats the fnniest thing I've heard all week LOL, you'r kidding right :rolleyes: :D :D
  6. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I think we should have a national snowplowers day... after all we're the ones that have to deal with the messes they can't predict.
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I have always asked myself and others:

What other profession (besides weatherman) could you have where you are paid whether you are right or wrong?

Most of what I know if you are wrong as much as they are you are fired!
  8. MickiRig1

No,I kid you not.
    The weather guy said it on the weather channel this morning about 06:45.
    At least they didn't get Weather man's week.

They should have weather week, educate people how to behave around snow plows/ storms, hurricanes, severe weather, what to stock up on, flooding-->do's and don'ts.
  9. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

they can have a day of there own,
    but let's call it

WeatherGuess'er day
  10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Weather Dufus day...

Didja ever notice that here, in the northeast, they never predict large storms more than 48 hours in advance? A couple of weeks ago a big storm was predicted for a Monday. Saturday, all day long TWC would only talk about their "weekend update". Then Sunday predictions ranged anywhere from 1 to 2'. Storm came and you guessed it, we got 2". :gunsfiring: purplebou
  11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

How about today for central jersey. Weatheridiot on channel 7 (ABC) 11 o'clock news last night: "Snow starting between 1-2am, changing to freezing rain/mix for the morning commute, heavy rains in late morning. Total snow accumulations 1-3inches."

Well, work up at 3am, no snow, 5 am a dusting, 7am totally raining. Good thing I spent all the time getting my truck ready last night manually moving 500 lbs. of salt and calcium into the truck. Guess after the rain stops I'll put it back in the garage...but wait.... maybe I shouldn't, the weatheridiots are already calling for snow next week....
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Not to get too off topic, but if I went to 4-5 years of school @ $25-30K/year, damn straight I'd complain about $42K a year!

Heck, poverty level is now $27K /year!

Teachers are a VERY valuable comodity, without good, well paid (=happy) teachers, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing!

Back on topic..............

I sure wouldn't want to be a weatherman, though it IS a field I find VERY interesting. They are getting better and better.

The local news station just went to 10 day forcasts (weekend in every forcast). They are now able to accurately predict 10 days what they were able to predict for 5 days in 1990.

Everytime they're wrong, the computers "remember" and will factor the "mistake" into the formula for NEXT TIME.

Just think, another 20 years, well be able to accurately predict 20 some days in advance with 5 day being 99% correct!
  13. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of the day. Your allowed to hunt weathermen with a 3 bag limit. I figure I can take out all my local stations forecasters, but whos gonna take down Al Roker??? ;) ;) ;)